Block User

Oakheart
Oakheart

How do I block a user from being able to contact me on OP?

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

I don't think there's currently a way to do that.  Can you give some context for the situation?  (Feel free to message me if you don't want to discuss publicly.)

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Oakheart
    Oakheart

It's simple really. I removed players from a game, but they are still able to message me.

• thaen
    thaen

Got it.  That does seem like it would have come up before, but I don't see anything in the code that suggests that feature exists.

Thinking about it, a block on a single login doesn't really solve the problem if one member is harassing another member.  The harasser can just create a new login and send more messages.

One possible solution is we could add a setting on the Profile that is something like "Only receive Messages from Friends".  That same setting could also make "leaving comments on any Public Campaigns that member is a GM of" be only available to Friends of the GM.

Thoughts?  Would that solve your situation?

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I would personally hate that answer- I have made friends, even gained players, from interactions on OP- I am not sure even all my current players are "friends" on OP- I rarely hit the friend button myself.

Also, I would not be able to message people that win Campaign of the Month- nor would anyone else on the committee. 

Just trying to help out.

• thaen
    thaen

@GamingMegaverse, to clarify, this would be a setting in a member's Profile that the member would choose to turn on if they were being harassed by another member.  And the harassed member could turn the setting off again later if they felt the situation had passed.  The default setting for all members would be the way it currently is, where a member can be messaged by any other member.  Does that help address your concerns at all?

• weasel0
    weasel0

While it solves the issue, it feels like a the nuclear option where a hammer would do... logically there should be a tiered approach and ignore an account should be the first. It should not generate a report or a block, heck, can there be a tag that assigns an invisible tag to the offending account that allows them to post as much as the want, but no one can see it but them?

generally, once blocked, most no one ever unblocks a person. Most people won't go through the effort of logging out and checking on their own post or message(can't check messages if they aren't logged into their own account anyway) and there can still be a universal nuke option if wanted. However, at that point, maybe there needs to be a report button for a member of some sort to go and look at the interactions and determine if someone's account needs a time out(by account and/or IP or other method).

A report button could also do a timed block for 30 days after which any reported messages are actually removed, not just invisible to everyone but the offending account, or they could just be kept invisible for behavioral record keeping.

As stated, a first option nuke button, seems very much too much. There's a problem with one person, so cut off communication with any and all other people is the solution?

sure that's way easier to code but is it the better way to solve the issue?

• thaen
    thaen

@weasel0, thanks for bringing up that perspective.  I appreciate the discussion!

It wouldn't be any and all other people, since Friends would still be allowed through.  You could Friend Request the member if you were wanting to contact them, and they could accept the Friend Request to open up the lines of communication, if they wanted to hear from you.  And unFriend you if they changed their mind later.

The "easier/faster to code" is important in this situation because in the time I've been at OP (2.5+ years), this is the first time this feature has been requested, and there's no existing code indicating it was something anyone was concerned about over the 14(?) years the site has been around.  So, we could end up putting in the work to create the feature ... and then only one member ever uses the feature.

@Oakheart, are you still interested in this feature?

• Oakheart
    Oakheart

I am pretty surprised this never came up before. Good sign! That said it does seem like an option users should have. My situation appears to be resolved so it isn't something I currently need.

• thaen
    thaen

Cool!  Really glad to hear your situation appears to be resolved.  If the situation comes back up, please do bring it back up.  I can't really justify putting time into it right now if it hasn't come up before, and there isn't even a current need for it.  : )

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member