A Better Way to Display PDFs

Keryth987
Keryth987

So, the current method is to upload the pdf or have a link to it already somewhere on the internet, and use Embed Media to show a PDF. However, I'm noticing on various browsers, that about 50% of the time the PDF does not display and you get a blank box.

Considering how many CHARACTER SHEETS, from ones people use individually to those from aps such as D&D Beyond, provide PDF character sheets to use, this is rather unacceptable.

Unfortunately, OP seems to assume everyone will use DSTs for their character sheets, yet this is not the case many times - as some are running on Roll20 or other VTTs and using sheets there thaty they convert to PDF, or using an ap like Beyond and using its PDF's fopr sheets. And it is not right to ask players to maintain TWO character sheets, the one they use and the one on OP.

In additoon, many rules supplements are PDFs, and allowed to be used freely, and therefore could be provided on an OP site to a games players for ease of access.

But the cuirrent setup wiht its unreliability of displaying the PDF, needs modification.

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Yeah, that makes sense.

Do you have an example of a Character page with a PDF where the PDF doesn't always show up, and the browser that happens on?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

I use DST for characters but I have lots of PDF's for lore and stuff. Many of them enbedded inside accordions like this:

https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com/wikis/myths-legends

or this

https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com/wikis/maztican-arms-and-gear

indeed many times the pdf just doesn't appear, and I always thought it was just the accordion messing with it. but even testing without the accordion, sometime it doesn't appear. Now I have tried to go incognito and that kinda kicks it into gear and then it appears, so I was guessing it had to do with my cache, but then mptying my cache also doesn't solve the problem. Yet, sometimes it does.

I am at a total loss as to why it sometimes happens and sometimes not. I thought it was just me being stupid. I am using chrome. today, they all work fine (ofcourse!) but next time I see the error I will mediately link it here. Hopefully we can track down the reason for this. 

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

@Thaen Any of the Player Characters HERE have the PDF's show then not show, then show again

• thaen
    thaen

@Frak_Lou_Elmo, thanks for the details.  Yeah, if you find a way to make it happen consistently, post here.

@Keryth987, thanks for the link.  I was able to get it to happen once where the PDF wasn't showing, but I couldn't repeat it.  I will start looking at alternatives, but not being able to make it happen again/consistently might mean that the alternative I try will have the same intermittent issue.

Obsidian Portal Developer