Why would The Future King of Wales take the risk of becoming A Wandering Knight?

marshalljames1
edited January 2022 in General Discussion

Out of boredom I've decided to use the Charts, of which their are 16, that A GM I know made for determining a player characters family history over the last 8 centuries

But the results were very surprising even though ths character will never be used I have a question about the king of background the charts gave my character I still want to know why would The Future King of Wales take the risk of becoming A Wandering Knight?

In case your wondering I haven't forgotten that the results show that my characters father was 15 when he was born, my characters now 24 and his fathers now 39 and that for various reasons unless something happens to my characters father then my character won't be The King of Wales for at least 6 Years, I just want idea's for justifying it

Here's what I ended up with

I made 16 rolls, 4 of them fairly came up A 100, none of the other 12 none of them came up lower then A 26 and only 4 of them came up less then A 34

The separate birth roll came up A 4 then A 43 on 1D100 then A 1D6 that comes up A 4 then another 1D6 roll that comes up A 2

All in all that means that my character is The Oldest Son and Heir of The King Of Wales, he has 3 younger siblings, 2 of them girls, his father was 15 when he was born, my characters now 24 and his fathers now 39

Because of a mixture of magic, good living, taking very good care of himself and access to experimental very good medicine its estimate that my characters father will live for at least another 6 years

As a result my character has become bored out of his mind, so in order to amuse himself he has come to England and he has disguised as A Wandering Version of The Type of Mysterious Black Knight that often appears at tournaments

A few rolls on other tables, I forgot what the results were, show that despite the fact that my characters father is The King of Wales there are some English Dukes that are several times more powerful then him/my characters father

Those rolls also show that that is because at this point in time Wales is a fairly poor country, it doesn’t have much of a economy and its population is very small for a country the size that Wales is

As The Rank of either my character or my characters father is Count or higher my characte he has A 3-in-8 chance of having 1D3 unusual followers, I roll A 6, which is A pass and I net 1D3 or 2 unusual followers

And

When rolling for 1st unusual follower The 1D100 roll comes up A 79, this means that The 1st is A Pigmy Giant,  meaning he's 4 10's Normal Size and that means he's roughly 9.6 foot tall, that I prevented from being the victim of Racially Motivated Murder

And

When rolling for 2nd unusual follower The 1D100 roll comes up A 42,  this means that The 2nd is A Very Young Adult Pegasus that I saved after Poachers killed her parents to get their young, she was injured trying to escape and the poachers left her to die

Post edited by marshalljames1 on

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

I don't really follow the royal family stuff, but I think Prince William and Prince Harry both joined the military.  And I think it was to appear to be "in service of the people".  (Anyone feel free to correct me on that.)  So, that's one possible reason that a future king would become a wandering knight ... to win the hearts of his future subjects.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• marshalljames1
    I did think of that but theirs 2 potential problems

The 1st is that if it happened in a campaign then at least 3 quarters of the action would happen outside of his future kingdom

The 2nd is that some of the other rolls show that the future kings father was only 15 when the character was born and for various reasons the characters father will live for at least another 6 years

The reason that The Future King became A Wandering Knight that no one knows this mysterious knight is out of boredom, not to win the hearts of his future subjects, but I guess he could end up doing both
  • marshalljames1
    Another thing I've thought of. If this happened in a campaign given the nature of his 2 permanent companion how much potential are they likely to cause him

The guys 2 permanent companions are A Pigmy Giant, meaning he's 4 10's Normal Size and that means he's roughly 9.6 foot tall, and A Very Young Adult Pegasus that both owe him their lives<
  • thaen
    thaen

Boredom sounds like a good reason too.  Don't know about the companions, but the people do often enjoy legends about their leaders, and those sound like legendary companions.

• marshalljames1

Any idea's for the future kings companions?, how to use them? and what kind of situations, a lot of which won't be good, they could cause

After all if it was a campaign they'd be loyal to The Future King not The Group, so if The Future King fell out with the other Pcs whilst drunk theirs a good chance of a fight, which would end badly for the other Pcs

As well as which their are a lot of Npcs that would be distrust The Future King simply because of The Nature of his companions

Also if it was in a campaign it might be a good idea to create some kind of background and personality for The Half Giant and The Pegasus, but as The Pegasus was orphaned at The Pegasus equivalent of 7 and a quarter years old, which means she was orphaned roughly 16 weeks after she hatched, may be easier to do for The Pegasus

In case you forgot 1's A Pigmy Giant, meaning he's 4 10's Normal Size and that means he's roughly 9.6 foot tall, that I prevented from being the victim of Racially Motivated Murder and the others A Very Young Adult Pegasus that I saved after Poachers killed her parents to get their young, she was injured trying to escape and the poachers left her to die

• thaen
    thaen

If Poacher were trying to get their young, then there must be some kind of presence of Pegasuses (Pegasii?) that the young are being sold into?  Maybe something related to that.

For the Pigmy Giant, maybe something like Andre the Giant's character from Princess Bride?