Items section question

Frak_Lou_Elmo
Frak_Lou_Elmo

After being gone for a few months I came back and read the Oct 20th Update Post (please do continue the update posts btw! otherwise I wouldn't know of new features to try out). I saw a few references to the Items Section being tweeked. I was wondering if it came back to the for of development, but I see in the advanced settings that it's still "unpolished and not supported since 2013". Is it still on the not supported status or....?

Personally I like the idea of an items page, but it being a copy of the character's page is not so handy when there are way more items than characters. Happy to brainstorm on what it could be instead if this is becoming a thing again!

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Welcome back!

It's been a couple months since that post went up, and you are the lone voice requesting the update posts continue, so I think we're pausing those for now.  : )  But for larger features that would be something you would "try out", we'll usually make a post here in the Forums announcing the feature ... often as a beta feature first.  So you shouldn't miss them.

I don't expect the Items page to get any more updates right now.  I was just trying to do a quick spruce up of some obvious ugly bits, so it didn't look quite so ragged.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• ragnarhawk

I had not commented on update posts because I thought that they were now quarterly, and I was not expecting another until sometime this month.

I do very much like seeing a status update on what has been changed and what might be coming down the pipe

Post edited by ragnarhawk on
  • Abersade
    Abersade

Agreed, I generally make a point of reading posts pertaining to status updates. Always fun to get a glimpse of what's on the horizon. It also allows me to plan accordingly when planning updates to push out on my campaign pages and what I tell my players to expect.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I also like seeing a QUARTERLY UPDATE, so I would support the above posts in this thread, although, I will add (and I think I said this before) that it is not ESSENTIAL, so if it stops other things getting done, feel free to drop it or to make it less frequent.  

As for the ITEMS page, I have an ITEMS page on both my campaigns. I don't mind that it is not a default, and, to be honest, I have no issues with the way it currently works.

smiley

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

Alright then ... the next Updates Post should be around the 20th of this month.  Thanks for the feedback!

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

I must also thro my support hat in for an updating of The Items page...and it becoming a seperate entyity from the Character page. While for some games I've run, like Shadows, its not all that needed, I am already finding it indispensible for my D&D 5E game

• thaen
    thaen

I must also thro my support hat in for an updating of The Items page...and it becoming a seperate entyity from the Character page.

@Keryth987, what parts are you seeing that are not separate?

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

@Thaen. Any CSS changes made to the Character Page easily effect the Items page as well.

• thaen
    thaen

That's the nature of CSS, not really related to the pages being separate.

You can limit your CSS to just affect the Items or just affect the Characters by adding the corresponding body-level class the the beginning of your CSS definitions.

".item-index" is the body class for the main Items page.

".item-show" is the body class for the individual Character pages.

".character-index" is the body class for the main Characters page.

".character-show" is the body class for the individual Character pages.

(There are some annoying "character" named classes that are used in the Items pages, but I can't change them now because it might mess up someone's designs.  But using the body level class will make that moot.)

If there are any specific CSS or design parts that are giving you issues, point them out and I'll show you how to make them Item or Character specific.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Also looking for any additional support on the Items page. I'm a big fan!

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• thaen
    thaen

@DungeonMasterLoki !!  We hadn't really planned any further updates for Items, but since there are multiple mentions here, we're certainly willing to discuss any proposals. 

Anything in particular that comes to mind as far as "additional support" for Items?  Things that you don't like currently for Items?

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Capability to sort the items page by item category leaps to mind.

• ragnarhawk

I believe that the concept of DSTs for items was also mentioned earlier

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for both of those!  We have them on the list ... for "sort the items page by category", I'm thinking "filter by category" would get the same result. 

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Filter would ony give specific items. Sorting would group each item by type

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

filtering/sorting option by owner would also be useful for the players I think. I can imagine a party wondering who has what artifacts just wanting to pull up this page and see the spread across their group. That's how I sorted my wikibased items page: https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com/wikis/items-of-note

• thaen
    thaen

@Keryth987, can you give me a scenario where you would use the sorting feature in your game?  That will help to ground how it should work.

@Frak_Lou_Elmo, filter/sort by owner, noted!

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

I'm looking for a specific item and so I sort by the type the weapon is

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I like @Frak_Lou_Elmo 's idea of sorting the items according to player ownership.  It reminds me that I use my ITEMS page as more of a general page - some owned, some not owned; although I guess the players usually end up owning them.  I also note only major items on my list, so you would not find a Ring of Protection + 1 on my list.

However, with Frak-Lou-Elmo's idea in mind, I wonder if there could be some sort of link to a Party Treasure page, or even if there could be a distinction made (possibly even just by filter) between owned items and available items.  We have a Party Treasure page on our Wiki, and I can agree that is sometimes difficult to see who has what (but not impossible).  However, I do agree that Frak_Lou_Elmo's idea would make things a lot easier.

smiley

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

Noted!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

I just pushed some updates to Items that were mentioned here.

Specifically ...

There's now a Filter section for Category.  So if you're looking for an Item of a particular Category, you can filter by that Category, and then look for the Item in the remaining Items.

There's now a Filter section for Owner/Author (these are the same in OP).  Any Item that is created by the GM is automatically "owned" by the GM, so selecting the GM's login will show the "unowned" items.  Twiggy mentioned a "Party Treasure" filter idea.  To do that, I would add a tag of "party treasure" or whatever you like, and use that as the way to keep track of those.

For CSS purposes, the Category and Owner/Author are now classes on the Items in the Items page, and also classes on the body of the individual Item pages.

Also, this is a new feature ...

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/6089/filtered-links

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

excellent! thanks! going to use this in my new campaign page: https://planescapeportals.obsidianportal.com/items

• thaen
    thaen

Awesome!  Love that Bag of Devouring!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Looks good.  Thanks!

smiley

Inner Council Member

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Looking excellent! Merci beaucoup!

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• thaen
    thaen

(Identical post of mine from another thread ... but this update was also added to the Items page, so it's pertinent.)

Just added a slight update to this "filter by url" feature.  It now adds a body level CSS class to the page  for each filter that you INITIALLY visit the page with.

So, if you wanted, you could style a page, like the DEAD page with gloomy colors.

Or, instead of using Custom JavaScript, you could have CSS that hides the Item Quick Search panel completely if the page is visited with a "filtered url".