Search Campigns by GM

Keryth987
Keryth987

Why is the ability to Search Campaigns by GM not a feature already? This seems pretty self explanatory to me.

Keelah Se'lai

Keryth

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

You can see all of the Campaigns that an OP member is associated with (as a GM or as a Player) on their Profile.  But, there's no distinction there whether they are a GM, Co-GM, or Player in that Campaign without clicking through to the Front Page of the Campaign.

What's a scenario where you would want to search for Campaigns by GM?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Looking for a specific GM's campaigns from the Campaigns page, of course.

• thaen
    thaen

What if, on the GM's Profile page, we put the "pawn with a GM screen" avatar on the Campaigns where that member was the GM?  Would that give you want you're wanting here?

Right now, if the member is a Player in a Campaign, it puts the "pawn" avatar, or their Character's avatar, but it doesn't put anything if they are the GM (unless they are also a PC in the Campaign ... so this would replace that in that scenario).

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I think what Keryth means is there's no way to search the website for a specific username, whether GM or not.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• thaen
    thaen

@UselessTriviaMan, is "searching for a specific username" a feature that you would use?  When/How would you use that?  I'm trying to figure out if this would be a feature used frequently by a regular OP member ... and thus how much priority to give it.

If you know the exact username you're searching for you can actually type it into the search on any Campaign, and a link to that member's Profile will come up in the search results.  Alternatively, you can go to your own Profile, and then edit the URL and replace your own username with the username you want to view.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

OK, I've learned pretty much all my HTML and CSS from the help and assistance of the community here. Lots of times that comes from people who have generously posted their CSS on their site. However, this also means at times I need ot reference their site and wt would be alot easier to be able to search for all sites by Wolfhound, say, that to go searching througha ll the favorite sites I have (which is a ridiculous amount due mostly to me working on thins for this site)

Thats just one example. There are NPCs, Monsters, Locations, Campaign ideas tha toen person has used that many times I have borrowed for my campaigns and it would be nice to easily and quickly reference their site for info or to even give credit where credit is due

• thaen
    thaen

@Kerth987, thanks for those details!

So for your scenario, you know the exact name of the OP member that you're looking for, and you just want a list of the Campaigns where they are the GM.

I'd like to avoid complicating the UI of the Campaigns page with a search box, so I wouldn't put this functionality there.

I'll try the option above that I suggested of putting the "pawn with a GM screen" avatar on the Campaigns on a member's profile where they are the GM, and we can see if that gets you what you're wanting.  You'll be able to search the member's name from any specific Campaign Search, and that will bring up a link to the member's profile in the search results.  Then when you click the Profile, any Campaign listed there with the "pawn with a GM screen" will be one that they are the GM of.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

I dont really understand what you are saying

• ragnarhawk

I think that Thaen's suggestion is that you can search (in the search bar on all OP wiki pages) for a user (I just searched for you), and it will link you to their profile

If he makes the change that he proposes, the list of campaigns on the profile page will have the "GM" icon on the campaigns where they are the GM

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

I didnt even know you could search for a user

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I didn't either. I kinda feel dumb for asking, but how is this done?

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• ragnarhawk

The search bar for your campaign can also be used to search for users.

Here are some screenshots:

I have circled the search area.  The 2nd image shows me entering a search for Keryth, the 3rd shows the search result, and the 4th the user page that it leads to.

I believe that Thaen is indicating that he could add GM token markers to the campaigns where the user is the GM

• thaen
    thaen

Sorry, y'all, I thought that "search for OP members from the Campaign" was a known feature.  It's been in place from before I was here.

The GM token markers are now in place ...

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Yep, I do feel dumb now. I had no idea the search could be used this way.

• thaen
    thaen

Dang ... I definitely don't want anyone interacting with OP to feel dumb ...

• weasel0
    weasel0

This is one of those useful features  that someone thought would be obvious and so told no one about it and it's only been discovered by accident I think or by people whose minds whorl similar to the coder. 

There seem to be a number of nuggets like this hidden across the site. The problem is, most people don't look for them because they either don't fit logically(why would a search bar that seems to be campaign specific find other players across the whole site) or they don't exist where they feel they should(the old access and sorting methods for search by campaigns page that were finally restored a few years back) so people assume the functionalities don't even exist. 

• thaen
    thaen

@ragnarhawk, @UselessTriviaMan, @weasel0, @Keryth987,

Any objection to us rolling this change back?  (The change being showing the "pawn with a GM screen" avatar on the Campaigns where the Profile owner is the GM.)

From this other thread, this change removed the Character avatar that Keryth987 preferred.

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/5911/dm-run-pc-not-displaying-on-main-page#latest

Post edited by thaen on

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

No objections here.

• weasel0
    weasel0

None here but I don't have a horse in that particular race either. 

• ragnarhawk

OK with me.  I thought it was an interesting change, but reverting would not be a big deal

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for the quick replies, y'all.  The change has been rolled back.