More maps

NimrodYanai
NimrodYanai

I finally hit the map count for my campaign :(

Baldur's Gate has 10 districts, and that's not including the outer city, the surrounding areas, etc.

We need a way to have more maps for each campaign! :D

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

How many more maps do you think you'd need in the Campaign?  Just trying to get an idea of what we're talking about here.

The issue with Maps is that they are costly in terms of storage space.  The reason is that the original image gets broken up into lots of slices and ends up taking up much more space than the original image.

So one solution we've considered is just counting that total Map storage space as part of the member's total storage allotment.  But since the Map's needed storage is much different than the original uploaded Map image, that could be confusing for the member ... they upload a 5MB map image, and end up with 50MB of used up storage space.

But if we could figure out a way to make that obvious or not an issue, then we could also do things like enable the member to choose how many levels of zoom they wanted for a particular map.  If they only needed 1 level of zoom, then it would be the same storage size as the upload.  If they wanted 100 levels of zoom, then maybe it would be gigs of storage.  (I don't have the exact numbers off the top of my head of how much storage each level of zoom requires, but it would grow with each level.)

But I always worry about striking the right balance between enough functionality (for the power users) and not too much complexity (for the casual users).  So I'm still on the fence about what the right solution is here.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• NimrodYanai
    NimrodYanai

Another option would be to just charge people who want to use more maps :)

It's quite standard in the SaaS industry to charge for hosting - the more hosting, the more you pay.

As for the campaign, my guess is 5 more maps will suffice (trying to think - I have 10 district maps, 1 city map, 1 area map, 1 districts map and will probably have 2 more mission maps (city and area) that I would have added later).

But the restriction itself is unnecessary. Perhaps a better solution would be to change the way the maps work so that it won't have the issue you are referring to? 

Or is that mandated by the Google Maps API?

• thaen
    thaen

Haha!  I've been explicitly trying to keep the subscription plan structures simple to avoid choice paralysis.  And at least for me, as a consumer (as opposed to a business), I find myself using a service less if I know that each usage might mean that it will cost me more in the future.  I don't want the OP subscription pricing structure to discourage usage.

5 more.  Noted.  Let me see what I can do.

Right, it's mandated by the Google Maps API.  It's how the map is able to be loaded quickly, and then smoothly "dragged/scrolled", and also zoomed in and out.  It's only loading the slices of the map that you're looking at right then as you need them.

• thaen
    thaen

I added a "beta feature" that enables you to add up to 20 maps per Campaign now.  Beta Features don't always stay in place, but any maps you upload above the current 10 map limit will still be accessible even if the beta feature goes away later ... the limit is at the "add" point.  Similar to when members downgrade ... they still keep all of the maps they've added to all of their Campaigns, they just can't add more.  Let me know if you have any issues.

If anyone else reading this wants their map limit upped, possibly temporarily, feel free to comment here and I'll add your account to this beta feature.

• NimrodYanai
    NimrodYanai

OMG Thanks!

• NimrodYanai
    NimrodYanai

LOL

I already finished the 20 maps :P

Luckily, this should be all I need for now, so I think I'm all set :D

• thaen
    thaen

Haha!  Then I'm glad I used my "make an estimate and double it" rule of thumb when you said you probably only needed 5 more.  : )

If you do need more, feel free to say.  We can bump it further if needed.

• NimrodYanai
    NimrodYanai

Nah, for now it's fine.

we'll see if I need any more further down the line. For now the game has not even started, this is all just part of the preperations :P

• thaen
    thaen

Huzzah!!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

P.S:  I don't need more map space.  I am merely stating my pleasure at the way this request has been handled.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Abersade
    Abersade

I agree with Twiggyleaf, nicely done.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Hell_Nova

Any chance I could enjoy the feature allowing for more maps on my campaigns as well?

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

Hey @Hell_Nova,just wanted to let you know your request has been seen and I'll update you shortly :). 

Obsidian Portal Dungeon Manager || [email protected] 

• thaen
    thaen

Hey @Hell_Nova, I've added you to this beta feature.  Let me know if you see any issues.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Hell_Nova

Thank you! Sorry for the belated thanks, just checked this. Our group is making good use of OP and will especially use more maps as we enter Europe Sector :)