Ability to set individual wiki pages to "players only"

Dungeon_Master_Loki
Dungeon_Master_Loki

I would love to have the ability to set certain wiki pages to be players only. I have some things are IP that I am using and as a professional designer I need to be completely by the book. Being able to put that stuff up and have it viewable only by the campaign participants would be terrific. 

Perhaps checkboxes like notifications? Everyone / No one / Only those checked? 

Thanks! 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

Comments

• ragnarhawk

If you are OK with just obscuring the data (it would be there, but not show when the page is viewed), you can do this with CSS.

HTML:

<div class="UnwashedMasses">

Something for those who do not have access

</div>

<div class="VIPclub">

The private stuff goes here

</div>

CSS:

.VIPclub {display: none;}

body.campaign-member  .VIPclub {display: revert;}

body.campaign-member  .VIPclub {display: revert;}

If you wanted to further obscure the VIP data, you could always html encode it.  I produced the following encoded text using this online tool: https://onlinetexttools.com/html-encode-text

&#69;&#110;&#99;&#111;&#100;&#101;&#100;&#32;&#84;&#101;&#120;&#116;

None of this prevents some determined to find the information from getting it, but it makes it much more difficult to casually disclose it.

Post edited by ragnarhawk on
  • thaen
    thaen

Another option is to create a Player Secret on the wiki page that is visible to everyone in the Campaign.  Then you could use CSS to hide the "normal wiki field", and only have the Player Secret showing ... which you could further CSS up so that it looks the way you want.  This would make sure that the data is completely not visible to anyone outside of the Campaign.  (Though obviously if one of your Players screenshots or copies the page, then it could be.)

Obsidian Portal Developer

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I, uh, use this a LOT in my campaigns.

The "questionable" content is hidden just as @thaen suggested, in a Player Secret section viewable by all players. Or, in the case of my "monsters" section, it's only viewable by the GM(s).

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Great idea and simple, I should have thought of that. Thanks, y'all! I think using the secrets is the way to go.

Merci beaucoup!

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!