Bug-ish: Plus symbols and HTML entities

jodie
jodie

Hello, for a while '+' symbols have been formatting text with underlining. This was a little annoying when it started because obviously a stats page has a lot of STR +5, etc. I was working around it by using the HTML entity instead "& plus ;" (no spaces)

Recently that's stopped working on the display view of the wikis, but it's still there on the page preview.

I guess there are two problems here;

• pluses - I can't add them anymore and they're important for stats.

• preview - it's really useful if it renders exactly like the saved page

Comments

• ragnarhawk

It would be really nice if there was a button to toggle these modifiers, or otherwise provide a standard way to insert these characters without having to resort to & coding

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I just put a space between the + and the digit. It works as a cheap and easy fix.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• thaen
    thaen

@jodie

This is one of those annoying clashes between Textile and normal text.

http://redcloth.org/hobix.com/textile/

Search that page for "+pleasant+"

So Textile is looking for a plus followed by a non-space ... and then, EVEN across new lines, looks for an ending plus preceded by a non-space.

This MIGHT be a case where we can try to break this particular Textile markup.  But I've tried something akin to that before in a different situation, and I had to abort mission and turn back.  It gets to be some black magic stuff very quickly.  So no promises.

In the mean time, UselessTriviaMan mentioned the "put a space between the + and the digit" which will work.  And you can also do "++11+ to hit", which will show up as an underlined "+11" because it gives Textile an ending "+" to stop on.

The "& plus ;" not working might be due to a recent change.  I didn't see it working in Preview or in the Display View.  Do you have a url for a page where you saw the Preview working but the Display View not?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• jodie
    jodie

Hey thaen, cheers for those workarounds. Maybe the case where it's before a number and not closed until after a newline or soemthing might be good idk. I do use the plusses for legitimate underlining too.

https://ddlunchtimeheroes.obsidianportal.com/characters/menelaus-the-rhino ;

^ On her main page Menelaus has the exposed html entities. But if you go to edit -> preview they're formatting as expected.

• thaen
    thaen

@jodie, good to know that you're using it for legitimate underlining.  Certainly can't break it then.  : )  Even with the newline caveat, I don't see how that would stop this from being underlined and the pluses removed:

Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d8+6) bludgeoning damage.

Do you see something I'm missing?

Thank you for the link to Menelaus!  I will have to dig into this and see what's happening.  If I copy and paste that Description to a new Character in my test Campaign ... the pluses show up as the exposed html entities in both the Preview and the Saved versions ... which is different from what I'm seeing in your Campaign.  And on top of that, the minus html entity IS showing up correctly in both Preview and Saved?!  None of that should be happening...

• jodie
    jodie

Definitely not a Friday problem then, lol

• Kallak
    Kallak

IIRC you can simply surround the item with the + with double equal signs ==+4 blah +5 blah== and the textile inside will not be parsed.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • thaen
    thaen

@Kallak, thanks for pointing that out!  I didn't know about that option.

https://textile-lang.com/doc/no-textile-processing

Looks like you can also use ".textile" for an entire line.  And there is a "<notextile>" html tag that won't work right now, but will work after the weekend.

@jodie, ha!  I now understand what is happening with the html entities, but I don't have a fix yet.  And any fix would be deployed after the weekend.  (I actually prefer to work on the weekends, but we try not to deploy on the weekend, so we don't mess up someone's game if there is a bug.)

• jodie
    jodie

That's awesome thank you Kallak!

Woah thaen fairplay

• thaen
    thaen

@jodie, when you get a chance, check out Menelaus again, and let me know if you see any funny business still with the HTML entities.  Also, the <notextile> tag is now functional.

• jodie
    jodie

Will do, thank you! That tag sounds heckin handy.