Better Link Previews

LuckyCharmQuark
LuckyCharmQuark

When sharing an Obsidian Portal link to my campaign, the link preview looks garbled.  Facebook is where I experiance it, but I'm betting this happens elsewhere.

E.g. when sharing a link to https://icewinddale-marshall.obsidianportal.com/wikis/world-building; that page has a title of "World Building | Icewind Dale | Obsidian Portal".  But the link preview isn't what I expect.

Facebook's Link Preview Tool:  https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

Comments

• jodie
    jodie

You might get more luck putting this in feature requests. I think this section is peer supported rather than developer supported.

• thaen
    thaen

No worries ... we're checking all of the threads.  : )

Thanks for pointing that bug out.  I'll look into it and get back to you.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• thaen
    thaen

I think I understand the issues now.  I'll work on fixing this over the weekend.

• LuckyCharmQuark
    LuckyCharmQuark

Thank you thaen.

Over the weekend?  You better be well paid to do work over the weekend.

Please get out and enjoy some warm weather if you have it.

--

Marshall

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for the concern, but no worries!  I bought the Obsidian Portal Business a bit back, so I'd say it's somewhat of a "labor of love", so in that sense, I'm definitely well paid.  And I take time during the week to get out and enjoy the weather as well.

The announcement post if you're curious:

https://blog.obsidianportal.com/for-gamers-by-gamers/

• LuckyCharmQuark
    LuckyCharmQuark

Reading post, wandering over to bio ...

> I also play a “verbal only RPG” with my daughters that they call Fairies, which involves them playing fairy characters that get into various situations. 

Ugh, right in the feels!

Well congratulations.  I feel for ya working the weekends.  I just did a server migration yesterday (MySQL).  It's a rare occurrence now, but I did mess up my work/life balance earlier in my career.  So I'm a little protective of my and other's weekends.

Except for the Big Boys.  Amazon, I just pressed submit, where's my package! cheeky

• thaen
    thaen

The open graph data should be slightly better now.  When I first implemented it, it applied the "homepage" og data to all pages of the Campaign.  Now the og data is only on the Campaign homepage, which allows Facebook to grab whatever they think the correct data is for the Campaign's internal pages.  I also trimmed the meta descriptions so they don't have textile or html tags in them anymore.

For my future reference, the forum post where open graph data was first requested:

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/5467/meta-tags-i-e-facebook

Let me know if that still doesn't meet what you're expecting!

Definitely don't take any concern on my part.  I actually prefer when every day has the same routine, so I don't work a typical 5 day 8 hour a day work week.  I do some work every day, and I take some time off every day.  And often that time off is when the kiddos come bounding in to the office with something they want to show me, or to ask me to go play something with them.  I also pretty much always eat lunch and dinner with the family (barring some emergency).  Making the investment of buying this business was all about us getting that work/life balance, and having that level of control over when and how we spend our time.  We also secular homeschool our kids, which gives us further control over how we spend our time.  Actually, "not on the weekend" is when we like to do most things as a family, so we can avoid crowds while everyone else is at work or school.  : )

Hahaha!  2 day delivery did spoil us all.

• LuckyCharmQuark
    LuckyCharmQuark

Looks great Thaen!

Thank you.

• thaen
    thaen

Happy to!