Party tracker DST

Frak_Lou_Elmo
Frak_Lou_Elmo

(assume 5e)

you know what would really help me out? a party tracker DST. It wouldn't need a lot:

name, AC, HP, spell dc, ability scores, passive perception, conditions. 

but then the ability to put as many characters as I wans in a scrolling list like this:

Now what would be truly awesome is that if it could pull stats from actual DST's (the best DST I have come across here is @Kallak's d&d 5e mobile friendly DST), but given this might be technically impossible, I would be more than happy to be able to fill one in myself.

One question would be where to house such a thing, as it is not a character, but not a wiki page. 

anyone else like this?

Cheers,

Frak

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Hey Frak, sounds interesting!

What are you using to do this job currently, and what isn't working about that solution?

If you're open to manually entering the data, then what is the value of having it as a "DST" as opposed to just typing these pieces of data into a GM Only wiki page or even a GM Only "Character" named "Party Tracker"?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

At the moment I just use a scarp piece of paper every session, jot down the main things I need, and hope I dont loose the paper before the next session. I play in another game where we have a shared spreadsheet that the dm uses as party tracker. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RnPEboC5_MjAnR9oruxr1k0mHmm3jXIs7KoyeLIveB4/edit#gid=0)

having a separate wiki page to do this I think would be problamatic as every time something changed I imagine sifting through reams of table coding to find someone's AC. A google sheet fixes that, but that means exiting Obsidian Portal and not having it all have the same look as the charactersheets.

In my game there are often 1 or 2 players absent from a 6 person group so then either I the DM or another player would npc them for the session. What we have noticed is that we have to jump between character sheets for this and it would be cool to have the basic stats all in one place.

putting it as a character named party tracker is not a bad idea of where to put it, just a different design of DST. It does not have to be GM only in my opinion, although I can see how other GMs may want to option. 

• thaen
    thaen

Good point about sifting through the html table code...that didn't occur to me.

Yeah, it looks like a pretty simple DST, especially if you made it a fixed number of rows...like 30 rows?  It's hard to imagine a game with more than that even including NPC henchmen and mounts and such.

Do you want to try building it?

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

I am afraid I do not have the skills to take this on entirely myself. my limit to html understanding is creating a table with divtable.com/generator and copy/pasting stuff in the appropriate places. 

I did read the how-to for creating a DST, and I think with some learning I might be able to make a basic 15x15 table with some checkboxes but it would be ugly as sin. the CSS stuff in making it look pretty is beyond me. I wouldn't mind partnering with someone to make something if someone could help with the CSS. 

but then again i may not be even able to do this and create more work for whoever I work with!

• Kallak
    Kallak

This doesn't sound like it would take too terribly long to build as a "DST". We could also use the dynamic list setup so there could be as many or as few entries as the GM wanted.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I think the Party Tracker DST is quite a good idea, but I would advise 1) that it be simple, and 2) that it be flexible.  

There will be some standard essentials:  Name/AC/HP/Savs/ etc. but consider the diversity of games, and also the diversity of players.

I use a printed Excel sheet for mine, with Character and Monster stats - Characters have HP/AC/Attack/Perception/Initiative/CMB/CMD/Saves - Monsters have HP/AC/Initiative/Damage Reduction/Spell Resistance.  However, I also have an open section below where I can add monster strategies.

I just thought I'd add (particularly for those of us that play Tabletop) that the DST Tracker be easily printable.
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

Simple and flexible sounds good to me personally, but since we're talking about a DST...anyone that wants to can create one to look however they want...and anyone else can use the one they like most.

Unfortunately though, that also means we're still stuck with the "difficult to print" debuff.  But there's still the janky option for that!

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/comment/44542/#Comment_44542

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

LOL!  That's far too "janky" for me.  Luckily, I have an Excel spreadsheet that does nicely, but I might still use the DST version for my players to see.

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member