more membership badges?

Frak_Lou_Elmo
Frak_Lou_Elmo

besides these, I only know of the game of the month badge. are there any more? I was thinking that this would be a cool way to get players to come back to OP. GM's are gonna do so anyway but for players there could be badges like:

-create a character

-use a DST

-write a +200 word wiki post

-write an adventure log

-write 10 adventure logs

-write 50 adventure logs

-write 100 adventure logs

-upload a map

etc etc

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

Comments

• gastoff
    gastoff

I love the idea of expanding the badges to help encourage players to be more active on the campaign page. I feel like quite a few OP campaigns act as a GM pet project instead of a site with equal investment. Adding badges that cater to player involvement could be a great way to increase player involvement in the site.

Most sites use the adventure log as a session recap page, and if there were a way for a GM to tag which players were involved in each session, other badges could be added for players who don't miss sessions. Or you could implement things like "MVP of the night" or "Unique Roleplay moment" etc.

• Kallak
    Kallak

This is something that I personally would love to see expanded.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

@twiggyleaf had previously put in a lot of work on a badge update.... I would reach out to him @kallak

Just trying to help out.

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

@gastoff that is a great idea for the GM to award badges to players for participating by tagging them!

-played 1 session

-played 5 sessions

-played 10 sessions

-played 50 sessions

etc etc

some other ideas:

-player got character killed

-player made original artwork

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for the request!

We've talked about something like this internally.  Or even something more like "OP XP" for a Player for doing different tasks on the Campaign that's tracked on the Player's Dashboard, and gives them higher and higher "titles".

My wonder is whether this would actually motivate a Player to do something that they weren't already planning to do.  If it's not actually going to change behavior, then it would be a waste of dev cycles.

I'd love to hear from some Players that would actually find this motivating to participate more in their Campaigns.  If you're a Player and you'd like this kind of recognition for your participation in the Campaign, chime in!

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

I'd love to see this expanded. Especially if y'all add a Ten Years on the Portal badge ;)

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

been thinking about what @thaen said regarding whether it woudl push players to do more than they usually do. thing is that few players go to their main page where they would see it. I doubt most of my players knowss these exit. usually players just go straight to whatever campaign they are playing and never see their main page after screating their profile.

I think that it would help if the badges showed outside their main page, namely next to their profile picture 

when they own a character, like this:

maybe change up the colors of some badges, too. Notice how some players have not even bothered to make a profile picture. it's because beyond their ingame character (on many players have only 1 or 2 active games at a time) they dont identify with their profile. showing the badges here may get the players to take a larger interest their profile beyond the game. 

what might help bring players to identify more with their profile too, and also therfore more with OP activity in general, is putting these badges under their forum name like this:

in other game forums like apolyton.net they have a billion badges for posting amount, posting in differnt locations, hell we couldhave badges for playing in game systems, 5e, pathfinder, whitewolf, etc. Now I vaguely remember reading somewhere that this forum is running on a differnt construciton than the main OP superstructure or something, so probably not possible

• thaen
    thaen

@DungeonMasterLoki, if someone wanted to design/create a 10 year badge as a png that matched the 1 year and 3 year badges in style and size, it would be pretty easy for us to add it in to the system.  But notice that the 1 year and 3 year badges have different designs...not just the number is different.  Just putting that out there...

@Frak_Lou_Elmo, thanks for again utilizing your image editing skills to present what you're thinking.

I think presenting the badges so prominently, and so easily comparable/competitively, might actually be counterproductive.  For example, on Stackoverflow (a programming help site), it's specifically DEmotivating to see someone posting with 135k votes, while you only have 26 votes or something.  So the reaction is to explicitly pullback and decide not to do anything, so it doesn't look like you're even trying to compete.  So we might see that the Players who were doing just a little bit, like posting a Character pic, might pull back from even doing that if they see some other Player racking up lots of badges that they couldn't easily close the gap to.

I should also say in full disclosure that I'm not personally motivated by badges or titles, so this is kind of a second hand discussion for me, which is why I'd like to hear from Players if they would actually find this motivating.

Right, these Community Forums are on a different software, but we have a very tiny percentage of the GMs and/or Players that post here, so showing the badges here wouldn't change general behavior much if any.

• Kallak
    Kallak

I could certainly be persuaded to work on one or more additional badges (and may already have one or more under my belt so to speak). Food for thought.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • thaen
    thaen

Hey @DungeonMasterLoki, what's that I see on your profile???  : )

Thanks to @Kallak for working on that!
    Post edited by thaen on

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

Looks awesome! Props to @Kallak .

• gastoff
    gastoff

I didn't realize I was so close to the new badge! Excited for when March finally gets here. New badge looks great @Kallak!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Love the new 10 year badge!

heart

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Damn. @gastoff has me beat by one friggin' month. April 19th for me! laugh

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• gastoff
    gastoff

@UselessTriviaMan

I joined way back when I was just a player in someone else's group and when that campaign fell apart, I literally left the platform until 2019...so...I kinda cheated. I wasn't around for the whole Reforge fiasco and don't really know what all that was about. *sorry—not sorry*

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Heh, me too. I initially joined in 2011 and tinkered with campaign creation for my homebrew version of the Forgotten Realms, but didn't really get into using OP until I started my Ptolus campaign in 2015.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• weasel0
    weasel0

I agree. Badge looks nice in my profile.