tweaking of "private character" option

Frak_Lou_Elmo
Frak_Lou_Elmo

Hi all, 

I am using the private character option for one of my villains, but unfortunately it hides absolutely everything. There are definitely things I want to hide, like their character sheet and story stuff, but there are some things I would want to show the players, like some pictures of what they look like and partial information they have already discovered.

I suggest having the bio not hidden for this partially known stuff, or having a separate text area which can be seen by everyone.

Cheers,

Frak

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

I think this is a good suggestion, for sure.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • thaen
    thaen

One option is to create a Player Secret with that info, and then just select everyone as "Who can see this?".

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

putting the stuff in player secret and selecting everyone is a good solution for the players, I'll do that, thanks! but unfortunately that also leaves out the information for visitors. The character profile pic just has a small picture and I use the bio for a larger version like so:

• thaen
    thaen

Visitors not being able to see it is a good point. 

I don't think we can just make the Bio public because GMs and Players that have already used the Private Character option may have put info they were expecting to be private in the Bio and/or Description.

There was a thread where we discussed having the ability to make each section of the Character public or private (Description, Bio, DST, image).  But more flexibility also means more complexity and can clutter up the UI.  (I actually think that's already a problem...)

I guess one option is to add an "Everyone (including visitors)" checkbox to the Player Secrets "Who can see this?" section.  No promises on that, just kicking an idea around.

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

I think an "everyone including visitors" checkbox in the Player Secrets would solve this problem nicely. 

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I guess I'm not entirely understanding the issue. Are you using DST character sheets for your NPCs? That's the only reason I can come up with for why you wouldn't just use the GM-Only section of a standard character page to keep the secret parts secret.

I've completely switched to the 5E D&D standard for NPCs. No character sheets, just a standardized stat block for everyone who isn't a Player Character. It really, really streamlines game prep for the GM.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

yea I am using the Theomancer DST, which I think is absolultly great. 

so for normal NPC's yeah, i just put all the really secret stuff in GM-only. But a few of my villains are full blown characters with stats and all. And when they die, I reveal the sheet to the party so they saw what they were up against. 

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Just put the stats in a private campaign, then cut/paste after character dies.

Just trying to help out.

• thaen
    thaen

@GamingMegaverse, how would the cut and paste work with a DST?

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

No idea- sorry, forgot that we were dealing with a DST- I don't use them (none for the systems we use)

Just trying to help out.

• weasel0
    weasel0

How difficult would an export to pdf function be?

• thaen
    thaen

@weasel0, we've put some effort into trying to make that work, and it's been surprisingly difficult!  The way the DSTs are currently designed doesn't allow for them to be just generated as a PDF.  We have to make some other upgrades/changes before we can have that function natively.

But here's a janky way of doing it:

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/comment/44542/#Comment_44542