Simple method to transfer character(s) from one campaign to another

friendlypickle
friendlypickle

Is there a simple method to transfer character(s) from one campaign to another?  Can't seem to find one.  Thanks!

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

There's not a method to do that yet, but if we get some background we can create a feature request for it.

Can you give me the scenario where you want to use this feature?

For this transfer, do you want to "copy" the Character or "move" the Character?  Meaning, should the Character be in both the original Campaign and the new Campaign, or only in the new Campaign?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• friendlypickle
    friendlypickle

Either would work equally well, whichever is simpler.  Thanks!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I have not done this, but I know people have wanted to copy characters as they have used them in multiple campaigns in the past.

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

It is not something I have wanted to do either but I can fully see how it would be a useful feature to many players, especially those who deal in multiple campaigns.

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• friendlypickle
    friendlypickle

So, I'm going to assume then that the answer is no, there is no way right now?

• friendlypickle
    friendlypickle

I run linked campaigns for Star Trek:  The Role Playing Game (FASA), have different ships, people transfer from campaign to campaign and ship to ship.  That's basically the deal.  Would be handy to be able to just import the characters over, cut and paste is about 15 minutes per character for me.

• thaen
    thaen

Right, there is no way right now ... other than manual copy and paste.

Thanks for the explanation!  That makes sense and I can see how this feature would be useful in that situation.  I'll add this feature to our requested features list.  Not promising it will be implemented or when, but it's on the list now.

We try to prioritize features that are requested by more of the community, so if someone else wants to use this feature too, post a comment!

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

I ran multiple linked campaigns and have asked for this in the dim and distant past. Please add my voice to the chorus in favor. 

Also, either moving or copying would work. 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• thaen
    thaen

@DungeonMasterLoki, noted!  Thanks for chiming in!

At present, I'm thinking it would be a "copy" feature (not a "move" feature), so that links to the Character in the original Campaign will still work.

So given that, would there also need to be a "replace Character in Campaign where the Character already exists" part of the feature? 

For example, using friendlypickle's scenario, I'm thinking of a scenario where the Character is transferred to a different starship (aka copied to a different Campaign), goes through some adventures, levels up and gains some new equipment, and then is transferred back to the original starship (aka "copied" back to the original Campaign with the changes). 

I'm thinking that when the Character is "transferred" back to the original starship (aka Campaign), you would expect that the original version fo the Character that is still in that original Campaign to be replaced with the version of the Character from the new Campaign.  And thus all of the links to the Character in the original Campaign will still work and point to the (now) updated Character. 

Does that sound right to y'all?

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Exactly what I need. Recent example: the technomage in my Starfinder game got thrown back in time to adventure for three levels with my Pathfinder game, then returned to her own future. 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• thaen
    thaen

Cool, thanks for the confirmation!  No promises that we'll build it, but it sounds like we have a solid idea of what the feature would actually be now.

Community members, speak up if you want us to work on this.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Dude, if there were a way to bulk-copy pages from one campaign to another I'd buy a round of the Good Stuff for the entire development team. 

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• thaen
    thaen

@UselessTriviaMan, can you give an example scenario of what would you use "bulk-copy pages from one campaign to another" for?

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I have a LOT of system-rules pages in my wikis. Currently I am linking from multiple campaigns to one "hub" campaign where I have all those pages, but if there were a way for me to copy those rule pages to another campaign it'd make the linking process much, much simpler.

I've typed out the "a href="/wiki" command so much in the last month I can almost do it in my sleep. cheeky

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Another example would be taking an existing player group into a new campaign- from setting to setting, having a different campaign for each setting.....

Just trying to help out.

• thaen
    thaen

@UselessTriviaMan, got it.  Thanks for the details.  I'll need to think about how we could do that from a UI perspective.  To do it "in bulk" there would need to be a place where all of the pages of the campaign could be "managed" in one place.  Currently, everything is done on each page with no bulk actions (that I can think of).  @Kallak has talked about something like this for bulk changes, like applying a particular tag to multiple pages at a time without having to Edit and then Save each one.  What this thread is talking about is just copying PCs (or NPCs) which seems like it could be done on a one at a time basis without much issue, and so wouldn't need an "in bulk" ability.

@GamingMegaverse, yeah, that makes sense too.  Pretty similar to the idea of transfering from Starship to Starship.

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

I'm 100% down for ALL data types being able to be transferred. I've got a catalog of items I'd love to move around

• thaen
    thaen

@Conan_Lybarian, you would be wanting to move the entire catalog as a "bulk action" or would this be individual items one at a time?

• 5gideon5

What do you guys mean by "manually?" I'd be happy to click a "copy character" and "paste character" button to move a character from one campaign to another but I'm not going to re-enter my entire character "manually" if you mean copying and pasting every field. Why can't a character just be moved from one campaign to another?

• weasel0
    weasel0

18 months later....

they were spit-balling a potential feature. Nothing has ever been done with it publicly.  For now, per field is the only way.

its just how it is. This site has grown but was designed and based on the idea of people storing a single campaign as it's own thing.