SECRETS section is amazing!

twiggyleaf
twiggyleaf

Hi All

The new SECRETS section now added to the campaigns is amazing.  I had never thought how handy it would be to have a general list with links, but now that I see it, I am WAY IMPRESSED!  It's got a great breakdown as well, letting us see instantly whether it is a Wiki GM ONLY page, a Character GM ONLY page, or a Player Secret.  

Wonderful!

Thanks Devs!

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Glad to hear it!  Thanks for the feedback!  Huzzah!!

Obsidian Portal Developer

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Yes. Yes. YES.

I friggin' LOVE this new addition to the site.

And holy crap do I have a lot of GM-Only pages in my campaign...

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• ragnarhawk

I absolutely agree.  I keep a lot of secrets in my campaign as well, and this makes keeping track of them SO much easier

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Actually, I was going to ask how to disable this part? I rarely, if ever, use the GM secrets section, so, for me, this is clutter.

Honestly, I'd rather have the Items section updated (and disconnected from the character page) and the Secrets made optional.

It is nice to see new content coming though and very encouraging and for those who can use the Secrets section, I'm happy

• Kallak
    Kallak

@Keryth987, you can add settings in your custom CSS to not show (ie, display:none) the Secrets tab. Then you wouldn't see it.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • thaen
    thaen

@Keryth987, thanks for mentioning your preferred updates!  (If others have preferred updates, please mention them.)

@Kallak's suggestion should get the tab hidden for you, but I wanted to mention a few things...

On the Secrets tab, you only mentioned the GM Only Notes section, so I just want to note that you will see ALL "secret" things that you have visibility to listed in the tab. 

So GM Only Pages (that you have created but not revealed to the Players yet), Player Secrets that you're on, and Wish List entries that your Players create. 

That last one, Wish List, was one of the main reasons I wanted to create this because it brings a Player's Wish List updates/changes up to the GM.  That way the GM can start weaving those Player desires into the game and increase Player interest and participation in the game.

Also, we found that Players who are engaged in a Campaign are 37% more likely to have a Player Secret that their GM has created for them.  So we want to encourage GMs to create more Player Secrets, but before the Secrets tab it was difficult for a GM to remember what all Player Secrets they had already created.  Now the Secrets tab pulls them all into one place for quick reference.

So to sum up, the main intention of this feature is to help increase Player engagement and participation, so if you are going to hide it, it might be worth trying to only hide it for the GM and still leave it visible for the Players.

• Kallak
    Kallak

@thaen does bring up some good points (I basically just answered the question without giving any input). It could be something to talk to your players about and see where they land on things. Player engagement is one of those issues we're always trying to combat, so it could be worth the discussion and/or experimentation.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987

@Kallak Uhm, don't suppose you have that CSS code for hiding the Secrets tab, do you?

• thaen
    thaen

@Keryth987, I think this is what you're looking for.  It hides the "Secrets" tab for everyone in your Campaign.  If you only want it to hide for yourself (the GM), but still be visible to the Players, let me know and I can tweak this:

.campaign-dashboard-layout #dashboard-main-nav ul li.section.secrets {
    display:none;
    }

.campaign-public-layout #campaign-nav li.secrets {
    display:none;
    }

Post edited by thaen on