Searches site wide

weasel0
weasel0
edited May 2020 in Feature Requests

Omg!!!!

i can't believe it took me this long to bring up but I suppose that with the new announcement it's a good as any time to revisit as it's been mentioned before:

it's not as bad from a desktop but in ye olden pre-Forge days, the landing page for people wasn't "the main" campaign but was a central site that listed campaigns by I believe most recently updated. Okay, yes it's still around, but it's so cumbersome to get to from mobile... would I be in a minority of having that back as the main landing page?

I went to try and find a god rebuilt to show someone just how large and expansive a game can get here and I can't just search for it right away. I have to go to the menu then to my name to the profile link then link to campaigns and finally, I can search for campaigns.

Oh....and there's still no link back to the regular website from the site forums. I'm certain I complained about that one years ago.

Its like there are a bunch of dead end areas that trap you wherever you go.

Post edited by weasel0 on

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

I think we could add some additional options to the edit profile landing page drop down that would cover that request.

Regarding the forum dead end, I've added a temporary workaround of sorts in the featured campaign graphic. I could add a "return home" link below it that goes to ones set landing page. By rights it should be at the top, but in the interim, it'd be a quick stopgap solution. 

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • weasel0
    weasel0

Okay. I hadn't thought of that via the features campaign. But a top level command/link at some point would be nice. 

• Bronn1
    Bronn1

Related to searches, I may be missing it, but I can't find a way to search for particular keywords for campaigns or game systems.  For example, I recently started a Ravnica D&D game and would have loved  to locate similarly themed games within the D&D 5E collection but I don't see a way to do that and literally searched 30+ pages of the D&D section.  Ways to search more specifically for settings/worlds within the campaign collection would be welcome.  Ravnica, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Eberron, etc.  Same would be welcome for specific campaigns for games, like Tyranny of Dragons or Masks of Nyarlathotep.

• thaen
    thaen

@Bronn1, there's currently not a way to "keyword search" across the OP campaigns from OP.  It's on the list of requested features, but doesn't have a lot of requests yet.

But you can do a "site search" on Google, which should get you exactly what you're looking for.  Go to Google and search this:

site:obsidianportal.com D&D 5E Ravnica

If you're not familiar, that tells Google to search just a specific site for a specific phrase, in this case, search "obsidianportal.com" for "D&D 5E Ravnica".

There will be a number of search results all from the same Campaign, and at least one Campaign looks to have been deleted, but I found at least 4 Campaigns that were in the first few pages of search results.

Let me know if that doesn't get you what you were looking for.

Post edited by thaen on

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Bronn1
    Bronn1

I'll try that.  Thanks.  

I thought that with the Tag feature, if a campaign was "Keyworded" by people, it would give people a way to differentiate between settings (Ravnica/Theros/Greyhawk for D&D) or timeframes (such as 1920s or Modern in Call of Cthulhu) or whatever other keywords that might fit.  Might be too much work for little demand, but I figured that part of that option may already be in place with the Tags.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Tags have to be made by the GM- so I for instance never thought of tagging 'Gods of Egypt' or 'Egyptian Gods' for the public despite that being the theme of A God...Rebuilt- so I can see where there may be a legit struggle there.

Just trying to help out.