Practical limit on number of characters in a single campaign? Is there one?

Dungeon_Master_Loki
Dungeon_Master_Loki

Since I like the way charcaters are handled and I miss the Items tab I've been playing around. I've been using the characters section to build out profiles on ships and strongholds as well as the PCs from prior games in the series. My question is how many characters can I put in before it starts to bog down? I'm looking at potentially several hundred PCs and NPCs so knowing how to prioritze my entries would be helpful! 

Thanks in advance, y'all have been fantastic  to  me as I get back up to speed! 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

@DungeonMasterLoki, here's a campaign that has more than 350 Characters, AND more than 1000 Items:

https://the-farscape-campaign.obsidianportal.com/characters

https://the-farscape-campaign.obsidianportal.com/items

The Items section still exists.  If you want to turn it on for your Campaign, go to the Settings tab for the Campaign, then the Advanced tab, then check "Show Items Section (Not Recommended)", then Save.  (The hint leads to a blogpost that explains why it was labeled "Not Recommended", but basically it's because it could look better than it does, not because it won't work or would lose data.  It only a cosmetic concern.)  Here's a screenshot with the checkbox checked:

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Thanks @thaen.  By the way, @DungeonMasterLoki, the Items page works "just fine".  I've been using mine on Mysteria since I started.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Yea, I shoulda used the Item tab on shadows. DEFINITELY using it on the new cmapaign I'm prepping

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

The main reason I stopped using the Items tab, the only reason really, was that it's data was not being included in the backups. Is that still the case? 

Thanks for the tips on the advanced settings, I was already aware but keep em coming for for the ones I miss. 

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

• thaen
    thaen

I just downloaded my test Campaign and the items tab was in the download and showed my one test Item, so Items do appear to be part of the backups now.  Let me know if you're not seeing the same thing.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Phenomenal, thank you sir! 

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

So...apparantly CSS done on the CHARACTER Page affects the ITEMS page?

• thaen
    thaen

@Keryth987, they do share a lot of code, and so a lot of the classes are the same, but you should be able to use the body class of "item-[something]" (for Items) and "character-[something]" (for Characters) to differentiate if you don't want to apply the same formatting to both pages.  (Where "[something]" is "index" or "show" or "edit".)

Let me know if I'm missing your point.