Why are my wiki pages 85% wasted blank space?

Kalarian

Why is my content section so narrow? It's practically worthless and I can't figure out how to make it wider.

Comments

• ragnarhawk

Hi Kalarian,

Kallak provides some good info on expanding the pages here: https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/comment/44567/#Comment_44567

• Kallak
    Kallak

Hi @Kalarian, the layout for the front-facing portions of a campaign site (such as the wiki) is a set width (which defaults at 1024px), with each of the 3 columns being given a percentage of that width. This means that the amount of open side space will vary some based on one's screen resolution/width. Based on the screenshot, yours appears to be a pretty wide setup, which is giving you that severely narrow overall look.

The solution in the link that was posted above is a great one, as you can customize the width of the overall page content, as well as the percentages of each of the columns. The important point to that solution however, is that it requires an Ascendant subscription to access the custom CSS input field. That said, we do offer a 15 day free trial - so you can absolutely give it a try and input the desired dimensions to suit your tastes.

In terms of being a free user, you do have some ability to address the situation, but it is more limited in comparison to the custom CSS. In the "Advanced" area of the Settings tab, there is an input field for "Content Max Width (px)". This defaults to 1024. Just insert a higher number and save. The width of the content will increase (just remember that not everyone's monitor setup will match yours, so it's a good idea to leave some free space). The thing to note here though, is that the 3 columns inside the content width are still percentage based without use of the custom CSS, so it's not just the center column content area that will increase in width (this may be something we can look at changing to be better).

What I would suggest is to also go into the "Style" portion of the Settings tab, and check the checkbox for collapsing the navigation. When you do this, the excess space from the navigation menu column is added to the main content area. If you collapse your nav and increase your overall content width, this will give you more space. It might also give you a bit of a wide right-hand column though, depending on how big you make the overall content width (again, I think your case highlights something that we could improve on).

Hope this helps.

All the best,
    - Kallak