Tilde symbol (~) breaks Wiki links

Krothos
Krothos

I was trying to be fancy with my Wiki link names "Dottari ~ Kintargo City Guard" instead of using a hyphen. It appears that using the tilde in "[[Dottari ~ Kintargo City Guard]]" causing the text treated as normal text instead of an Wiki link to another Wiki page. So, I'm using a hyphen (-) instead but I'm curious as to why tilde breaks things.

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Hey @Krothos,

From what I can see in the code, this is just an oversight.

The "Name" of the Wiki Page has no character restrictions at all (currently).  But when the code is scanning the text for "Wiki Links" after you Save, it only processes a Wiki Link if all of the characters are within a limited group, specifically:  letters, numbers, spaces, and any of _()-!@,'"

So it's very easy to create a Wiki Page that can't be linked to in the normal way by adding a character to the Wiki Page name that isn't in that limited group.  Alternatively, you can create an "a href" link to the wiki page or an "external link" using the full url of the Wiki Page.

I can't think of any technical reason that tilde should be excluded.

I'll add this to the dev queue.

Thanks,

thaen/Aleks

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Krothos
    Krothos

Thank you.

• thaen
    thaen

@Krothos, I've added the "~" to the allowed special characters, so Wiki Pages with "~" in the Name will now link properly.

• Krothos
    Krothos

Thank you! I don't know why but I've using this symbol a lot where ever I need a hyphen.  :-P

• thaen
    thaen

Happy to!  Ha!  Yeah, it adds a bit of "flourish" to things.  : )

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Go Thaen! 

heart

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks @twiggyleaf!  Much appreciated!