Sticky Notes/ Self Reminders

Conan_Lybarian
Conan_Lybarian

So I'm like every other player and DM, and have a list of stuff I want to do for game, or to the portal, or to update a character, etc etc. And I was thinking of making just a Hidden "To Do List". But, I was at work the other day and realized that I rely heavily on sticky notes. I've got them all over my office, my house, even in my car. They're the thing that reminds me to do something, or has that tidbit I knew I would forget.

So what I'm proposing is almost a "Sticky Note" feature. It could be a button in the editing menu to place it in a unified/easy to find spot. It would create a side box, maybe a drag over pop up (like a "tool tip"), or some other easy to spot feature, that would contain those little snippets or reminders of things you want to do to that page or maybe even during a session.

I imagine it would be hidden except to the person that made it, and somehow looked up from the search. Those features are already available as you can both choose to keep something hidden, and they could automatically have the tag "Sticky" so they can be easily searched. Even as a drag over wouldn't necessarily be site breaking since "tool tips" already does this.

It's just a rough idea, and you could technically do a work around in a couple different ways. But to be able to put a virtual post it on a page when you have a quick thought, then go thru them at your convenience or when you stumble across a forgotten one, would be super convenient.

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

I think this could be a cool thing. Would also be neat for like cooperative building on the campaign site.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Jynx001
    Jynx001

Oooh, I third the idea. Anything to help organize my loose notes is a plus. Do we need an icon for that? Maybe a scroll with a spider's web on it?

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

@Jynx001 - a little on the nose, but I like the spiderweb/scroll icon ;-). And it definitely would be good for co-op building. Maybe the button wouldn't even have to be *only* in edit mode. That way a player can leave a note for the DM or other players too.

• gastoff
    gastoff

I uilize the checkbox list on my iPone Notes quite heavily for everything from ToDo lists to Shopping Lists. Maybe something similar where we could have checklists that can be filtered or grouped by categories?

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I used to have a gm only page for my do list- this would be better

Just trying to help out.

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

I like the idea of some sort of off to the side or slightly stand out list or note that can be created. The check list is a good idea. Makes it a little more streamlined. It would be nice if it could take you to that page if you selected it too. Although, the idea of a little parchment (or if some css wizards get creative and customize it) popping out or showing up as you browse as a DM or the player who created it, would be a real eye catcher.

Post edited by Conan_Lybarian on

• gastoff
    gastoff

@Conan_Lybarian,

I guess some fancy CSS could be used to detach the GM-only comment section and have it float to the left/right side of the page so it could house a checklist of things to do per page...but it would probably be cleaner to have a central place/page where all the To-Do items can be listed that can be the launch point for page edits and refinement.

• Kallak
    Kallak

Oh! That actually gives me an idea for another feature. Inline GM-only elements. That would be cool also.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • gastoff
    gastoff

@kallak, I don't follow...what would an inline GM-only element consist of? Some kind of tag you could add to parts of an entry to make it GM-only instead of having to put it all down in the GM section? Like wrapping an entire accordian with a GM only type class tag that hides it for everyone but the GM?

• Kallak
    Kallak

@gastoff, Pretty much yeah. The ability to have something in the main content section of a page and decide "I want this [insert] to be GM-only". I can think of plenty of uses for something like this. Sub-menu's with extra options for GMs, descriptions with roll difficulties visible only to the GM, handy (but short) notes that are short enough that you shouldn't need to scroll all the way past your potentially really long page to see, etc..

Could have one for player secrets too even.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • gastoff
    gastoff

@kallak,

That's something that would be really cool to see implemented!