Alternatives to Obsidian Portal?

MasonLogan1

I found a neat one called Chronica that looks pretty interesting but curious what else is available. Preference for stuff designed for gaming, not random wiki sites and stuff that I won't know how to use.

Also curious if there's any new VTTs worth knowing about? I know roll20, Fantasy Grounds, d20Pro and Maptool are probably the big ones but I've not really been keeping abreast of new developments if there are any worth knowing.

Comments

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

So I gotta say- pretty ballsy to ask about other sites like this is Yahoo answers ;-)

To your merit, there are some cool sites out there. But it sounds kind of like you haven't really invested the time to get familiar with OP. "Stuff that I won't know how to use"? Wikis, ability to hyperlink, maps, media storage, dice roller, character sheets, and a TON of tools on here, are specifically "designed for gaming" like you mention. Not trying to come off harsh- but maybe spend some time on the site. Any other one you use is going to have a learning curve too. This one has one of the easiest, and a great community to back it up and support you.

There are a bunch of cool Live Play/VVTs out there. I'm interested in Demiplane myself. It's in beta right now, but it seems promising. The most well known are the easiest honestly- they've got more tools and resources already developed and established.

• Kallak
    Kallak

If I can echo a bit of what Conan said (because let's face it, his response was awesome), yes, take a bit of time and really learn how to use OP, I think you'll end up surprised. There are competitors obviously, and some of them have a flashy layout here, or a neat feature there. But OP's wiki style structure enables you to build anything you need. You're not locked into set forms or page types. You build whatever you need - and with an Ascendant membership, your site can look however you want it to.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I have tried others, but for wiki flexibility and gm tools that make sense Obsidian Portal is the best.

Just trying to help out.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Echoing what everyone above me has said. There is no other place I could have a setup like I have for Shadows, or any of the other campaigns I've started an am working on

• gastoff
    gastoff

The only other web tool I used for gaming data storage is Myth-Weavers for storing my character sheets. For organizing campaign information though, OP is hands down the only way to go. For the basic user, ir provides everything that is needed to run a campaign without much hassle, and for the more advanced user, it allows the flexibility to customize every single page element if you so desired. As for VTT options, I use Table Top Simulator (available through Steam) so that I can recreate a 3D gaming table experience.

TL;DR: OP is the GOAT.

• weasel0
    weasel0

The only site I've ever looked at other than OP is rpol.net due to a much more developed chat system of multiple permissions and groups that can be utilized for pbp. They also have wiki functions, but nothing close to here as it's a literal blank page.

But OP was designed as a wiki site, and rpol was designed specifically for pbp so I'd hope they edge each other out for the areas they focus in.

Were I to run a pbp, honestly, I'd use both but again, I'll use OP for any game I'm running via any medium, rpol is just the table everyone gathers at for pbp.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I have never needed to even look at other sites.  Obsidian Portal does everything I need and more.  

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

^^^ What they said. ^^^

To be blunt, Obsidian Portal is the single best GMing tool I've encountered in my 38+ years of gaming. I shout it from the Facebook mountaintops regularly, because this joint is just awesome at what it does. Period.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Omegabase
    Omegabase

I’ve found nothing remotely comparable to OP.  Theoretically you could build your own site off a template, a massive undertaking.  I guess the next best thing would be posting things to a blog + generic wiki site.

I use RPTools / maptool for VTT because it’s simple, fast, generic, free and does everything we need.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcanearth

Gammaworld 2754

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

I have seen adds for https://www.worldanvil.com/ but dont know anything about quality of it. I was thinking of making an account and kinda playing around just to see though. 

That being said OP has pretty much everything I have ever wanted and since Kallak got his new position have loved the feedback and growth. 

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Wow, you really rolled a natural fumble on that diplomacy check. Seriously bad taste to ask that here. You should be bloody well ashamed of your lack of social skills and take that to Facebook or something. 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

Troll account. This and a few others for awhile were just pulling reddit and quara questions from up to a couple years ago just to bash OP. This one is pretty mild, but a couple were really pulling gems. I always recommend the following for.. "special guests"

http://mctrollersonstrollmanagement.obsidianportal.com/