Non-Alphanumeric characters in wiki titles

ragnarhawk

A generalized fix for non-alphanumeric characters in wiki titles would be very nice.  Occasionally someone in my campaigns will use a comma, an apostrophe, or some other character and break the link.

I see that @kronovan mentioned a related issue in Helps & Tips here

Comments

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    You can absolutely have punctuation in your wiki titles. I just tested [[Rule 1,000]] and [[I Think, Therefore I Am]] and the Textile links work perfectly.
    Are you talking about typing it out via HTML?
    Post edited by UselessTriviaMan on

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• ragnarhawk

No, I am adding wiki pages normally, then trying to link to them using the Wiki link tool.  Oddly, this appears to be working inconsistently.  Sometimes it works as expected, other times it changes the link.  I seem to be having more issues with Adventure Logs (with apostrophes particularly) than other wiki pages.

My campaign is private, so I can't share the pages, but one of my players created "Bard's Saga notations".  When I add it to the page I get the following Textile "[[Bard's Saga notations | Bard's Saga notations]]", but when I save the page it creates this link: "https://alightinthedepths.obsidianportal.com/wikis/Bard's Saga notations/new".

I created the page"Lar’s Apostrophic Log", and added a link to the page, which produced this Textile "[[Lar's Apostrophic Log | Lar's Apostrophic Log]]", and when I saved the page it created the correct link "https://alightinthedepths.obsidianportal.com/wikis/lars-apostrophic-log";

I have no idea why one is working and the other is not

(Note, the html encoding gets converted when I post this here - the key is that the link substitutes %27 for the apostrophe in the first link, and that the apostrophe is completely removed in the second)
    Post edited by ragnarhawk on
  • Kallak
    Kallak

I have encountered this issue in the past with apostrophes. I had copy/pasted a city name out of a sourcebook that contained an apostrophe, and later found that my linking to it (even via the insertion button) didn't work. I deleted the page and recreated it manually, and then everything worked just fine. The culprit appears to be the difference between ’ and '

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Abersade
    Abersade

Kallak, there's actually a third apostrophe variant that looks identical to the apostrophe that works but which does not work. I've only ever managed to insert it via copy/paste but it does break links.

Here's a list of every common punctuation mark and whether or not it works for linking: https://abersade-testbed.obsidianportal.com/wikis/special-characters-in-wiki-links

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Kallak
    Kallak

Interesting stuff about the third apostrophe, I did not know that. In terms of your special characters link, some great work there. If you're okay with it, I'd like to convert it to a Help Area article.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Abersade
    Abersade

Be my guest.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub