Keeping them engaged

Conan_Lybarian
Conan_Lybarian

I'm feeling really good with where my campaign pages are at. I've been working really hard to keep them interesting and attractive. But I still feel like it could be a little more engaging. What do you guys do with your pages that you think really keeps the players coming back and checking it?

Comments

• cgregory
    cgregory

Depends a bit on the system/campaign, but I give out minor rewards to those willing to put their time into it.

In my Shadowrun Xcom campaign I gave out 1 bonus karma per session for anyone who wrote an adventure log.

In Throne of Thorns (Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign) it was bonus build points for their kingdom for any adventure log (max one per person per session). In other pathfinder campaigns, I did "gold" towards a personal magic item that they could scale.  I forget the exact amount but it scaled with their current level.

I think savage worlds it was a bonus xp per session.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

We tried to use the site during games and at one point, I asked one of the players to be in charge of pulling up NPC portraits on his laptop to show to everybody as they were introduced.  We used an Apple TV airplay setup to cast to the big screen tv in the room for visibility, and then ran music off of it, too.  Worked great!

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

Those are both great ideas. Thanks!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

There used to be a stickied conversation that had many great suggestions here- but I cannot find it any longer- Kallak?  Any one else in the old school group?

Just trying to help out.

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

I started doing in-game rewards that's already paid off. Their choice of gold, inspiration points, or a homebrew reputation/villany point. A couple backstories, even an npc and a sketch so far. I've done little stuff in the past, but doing everything primarily online (we even play over discord) just meant I had to give a a little to get a little more out of them. 

Post edited by Conan_Lybarian on

• Kallak
    Kallak

@killervp, if it's an older thread, it's possible that it got moved to the archive at some point. As an admins-only location, that would make you not being able to find it make sense. I'll do some checking and see if I can find it and get it moved back here if it's there.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

We just had a discussion about this at my table last week. We've been using Hero Points to good success, but the campaign has been running so long that all the players now have a big stack of hero points each session. They have so many, they don't feel the need to do anything to earn more, and none of them have contributed to the OP site in many months. (To his credit, the paladin does still post treasure updates to the adventure log, but he's the only one.)

After discussing, we're trying an updated version of Hero Points. PCs can Use points as normal; but now they only get back half those Used points next session (instead of regaining all of them). Also, the other half they don't get back now go into the DM's hero point pool.

This makes combat a bit more tense, especially when I can't roll above a 5 on four d20 attacks in the same round... cheeky

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith