what happens to logins when Google Plus shuts down?

JRandall0308
JRandall0308

I currently login using my Google Plus account.

Google Plus is shutting down in April 2019, and the APIs are being shut down possibly sooner than that.

What will happen to my Obsidian Portal login after G+ is gone? How will I log in?

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

This is actually something I was literally just about to put into my weekly update post. That said, I can go ahead and put it here also:

Dying Google+ Authentication Notice

The shutdown of the Google+ social network draws ever closer, which means we need to start taking steps now to connect with any users who may be impacted here on Obsidian Portal by this action. As we know from the Google+ API Shutdown developers page, all of the Google+ APIs will be shut down on March 7th 2019. However, it’s important to note that they also mention this is going to be a progressive shutdown, and thus users will begin to see intermittent failures as early as January 28th, 2019.

This means that within the next week, it’s entirely possible that your authentication to Obsidian Portal via the Google+ social sign in option will begin experiencing difficulties (and obviously will cease functioning altogether in due time). If you are using this method to sign in, you are going to want to get ahead of the game now. You will need to do one of the following:

1. Configure your account to authenticate via one of the other social sign in options: this can be done by editing your profile and then locating the “3rd Party Sign In” buttons.

2. Perform a password reset so that you can authenticate via the “traditional” username and password combination: this can also be done via the edit profile interface (check out our Changing Your Password instructions).

If you have any further questions, or need any assistance regarding this issue, please drop a message to us at the [email protected] email address.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Krothos
    Krothos

If I may offer a suggestion since your team will need to work on the login screen, maybe have this as the default...

Instead of how it is currently when you go to http://www.obsidianportal.com/login...

I know personally will be using the standard OP login since I'm not on Twitter or Facebook.

~ Krothos

• Kallak
    Kallak

I'd support this. Would just need to add the "Create new account" link next to "Forgot your password".

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987

I second Krothos's suggestion

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

Yes!  Me too! Totally agree. It is just a wasted step.

November 2012 CotM:  Dresden Files RPG: The Emerald City

June 2016 CotM:  Star Wars: Rise of the Infinite Empire

JUNE 2020 CotM & 2020 CotY:  Mass Effect Accelerated

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• thrummycap
    thrummycap

Just wanted to note that switching to a username/password login was quick & painless, so thanks for the instructions!

• Kallak
    Kallak

In case anyone missed it, Google+ login has now been replaced by Google login.

All the best,
    - Kallak