Checkboxes?

DocH
DocH

I'm running and Urban Shadows game and I want to put my player's sheets on Obsidian Portal.  Urban Shadows uses a lot of checkboxes to track things that can change multiple times in a game.  Is there any way I can add checkboxes to a wiki page or a character page?

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

For something like this, I'd say you're probably better off investing a bit of time to make a DST.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • DocH
    DocH

So to add something that is supposed ot be in your system (There's a checkbox button on the editor, it just doesn't work) I should learn to program, build a DST, submit it, and wait for it to be approved?

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

You do realize just how many different RPG systems are out there and are supported by OP? I've never even heard of the system you say you are running, no offense. DST's are how all the interactive sheets come about. Or you can just customize a page yourself, like I've done on Shadows Over New York.

• Kallak
    Kallak

A few things to note:

[1] Yes, it is true that some toolbar buttons on the CKEditor (checkboxes being one such example) are not functional on Obsidian Portal. This is one of a few issues that some site users have with the editor. Sometimes these issues are due to the fact that the CKEditor is a third-party product and doesn't quite mesh up perfectly with the site. Sometimes there are restrictions in place on Obsidian Portal's campaign pages that cause parts of CKEditor to "not function". Other times, there are base level functionality differences as compared to the original editor that users have problems with.

The topic of the correct way forward regarding the CKEditor (and indeed editors on the site in general) is an ongoing discussion, and user feedback and input is certainly welcome. As time goes on, changes in the area of editors will occur, and I think it good that users stay involved. In the meantime, don't forget that the CKEditor is not the only option available to you. If you are troubled by this button issue (or anything else regarding this editor), then you might want to consider Setting the Default Editor to the Textile editor instead. As the site's original editor, you won't come across some of the issues that the third-party CKEditor has.

[2] Despite the presence of the checkbox button on the CKEditor, checkboxes are actually not "supposed to be" in the system. Being a site largely devoted to wiki building - that is to say information display - form elements that are used to solicit user input (like checkboxes) are out of place on the front end, and thus not intended for use on campaign pages. This is why the CKEditor button doesn't work, and also why you can't add checkboxes manually.

DSTs are an exception to this rule because - as a character sheet - user input on the front end is required for players to enter their character's statistics. This is why I suggested you may wish to consider making a DST for what you are wanting to do. Making a DST would let you use checkboxes like you want to, and also keeps you from having to have a block of copy/paste material stored on your site. A DST also ensures that no one can inadvertently mess up the presentation by deleting something they shouldn't have, or adding information where it wasn't supposed to go. Finally, the DST route also has the benefit of adding something to the community that others can make use of.

[3] Making a DST doesn't actually require any programming ability at all. While you could certainly add auto-calculation of stats or other scripts to a DST, this is not mandatory. All that is absolutely needed are the appropriate fields for players to fill in data. This means a bit of HTML only (basically the same as making a wiki page). Generally speaking, people add CSS styling (also something that people use for building wiki pages) to make the sheet look correct or fit properly, but this too is optional. Long story short, if you can make a wiki page, you can make a DST, so you wouldn't need to learn anything unless you wanted to go the extra mile and add scripts.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • DocH
    DocH

What's teh lead time for a DST?  If I get one made this week, how long will it be until it's available?

• Kallak
    Kallak

The review/approval process varies a little depending on the complexity of the sheet (which generally means the more scripts there are to test, the longer it takes to do), so it comes down to how involved you intend to get. If you're staying with HTML and CSS only, I can't see that taking more than a day of back and forth to get approved.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • DocH
    DocH

I've looked over it.  It says I have to do a CSS as well, which is the part I'm not familiar with at all.  

• Kallak
    Kallak

Hmm, I was fairly sure it had only required HTML, but in that case, I think you'll find CSS fairly simple really. Here's a beginner guide so you can see the basics. Essentially, you're just defining attributes of each entity based on class (or type).

If you have difficulty getting the CSS part down, let me know and I can chip in on that part of it with you. As admin I can make edits to your DST file, so i can help out.

All the best,
    - Kallak