Stealing tables off of Wikipedia

JaymesBolton
JaymesBolton

So I want to steal a table off of wikipedia. Tips or tricks on doing this without it being a massive headache?

Comments

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

I would say inspect (inspect element) the page where the table actually is so that you can view the HTML that makes up the table. Then you should be able to right click on that table entry and do a copy outer HTML and that should grab the table and it's contents.

Then you just paste it in some kind of editor, either a full IDE like DreamWeaver or Notepad would work as well and modify it till you get what you want out of it.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I didn't explain it enough.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

@johnprime

I am looking to copy the tables at the bottom of the page on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilds_of_Florence  Can you give me some more direct pointers on this? I can always just manually input my own table but I was really hoping for a more efficient (aka lazy) way of doing it. 

• cgregory
    cgregory

Let's assume you use firefox for this.

You go to the wikipedia page. Put your cursor at the top left of the table and right click. Choose Inspect Element. You should see a line that says table class="wikitable sortable"

Right click on it and choose Copy -> Outer HTML

Paste it in your page and you now have the table.  You might need to erase line feeds (notepad++ is good for that).

Here is an example of it

https://dead-men-tell-no-tales.obsidianportal.com/wikis/r-gles-du-jeu
    Post edited by cgregory on

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Thanks for answering cgregory. Been very busy at work and haven't had the energy to stop by!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

Thanks for the help! Regretfully the coding is not Obsidian friendly. Just creating a table and copy pasting the different information into it proved a more simpler method. 

Oh well. This is what I get for being lazy. If someone finds a more reliable method please go ahead and share for future lazy people!

• Lwitherspoon
    Lwitherspoon

Sorry for late reply, but a lazy solution that works for me is just adding a link to that Wikipedia page in OP wherever you need the table. Or, if that extra click is going to wear you out too much, take a screenshot of that table (if it’s not large) and post it on  your OP as a picture. 

I can do maybe 5% of what the fancy, flashy campaigns do with code, but I’m pretty well versed in laziness. So...