Dresden Files RPG character sheet broken

JaymesBolton
JaymesBolton

It seems that the stress levels on the dresden files rpg character sheets are all broken (on all the sheets). Anyone know anything about this and/or how to fix the problem?

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that there's probably one sheet that the others are are either derived from or are variations of, and when the "original" was created, it was off, and so the error was "inherited" to the others.

Can you post some specifics, maybe with screen captures and the discrepancies notated?

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

Here is an example character I had built for the campaign.Stress is on the bottom left the the character sheet. 

https://theslofiles.obsidianportal.com/characters/tyler-emissary-of-the-babe-example-character

• cgregory
    cgregory

I can tell you the issue.  The url for the stress pips no longer exists.  Whoever created it linked to graphics on an external site

http://www.causticreality.com/images/pips/pips-01-08.png

http://www.causticreality.com/images/pips/pips-01-06.png

etc.

I'd suggest when creating a DST and using graphics to place them in a OP campaign's media library.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• cgregory
    cgregory

If you find an image of a different number of pips you could use CSS to 'fix' the sheet temporarily.

Using

.pipsRange_6 img {display:none;}

.pipsRange_8 img {display:none;}

.pipsRange_6 img::before {content: url(https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/124016/assets/640745/XDash.png);}

.pipsRange_8 img::before {content: url(https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/124016/assets/640745/XDash.png);}

Obviously using a url that contains the number of pips needed rather than the XDash.png url. You might need pipsRange_4 as well, but I don't remember the dresden files system that well anymore.

They are among us!

• ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV

Try sending a PM to the sheet's creator, eiredrake, to see if they'll fix it up. If they're not around any more then we'd need to find someone to adopt the sheet and make the fix (which there's never been a good process for, but can be done).

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

So I messaged but no response. Can anyone with the skills and time take these over?

• cgregory
    cgregory

I could probably take a look at them as I said it looks like it is just a matter of creating new pip graphics and then changing the links to those new graphics.

They are among us!

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

That would be awesome cgregory! No idea how you are supposed to go about that though...

• Kallak
    Kallak

If it's just some image edits, I can make the corrections. Do we have a screen grab or something of the original pip(s)?

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • cgregory
    cgregory

Not that I know of. If I remember correctly it used to be 8 pips with a number filled equal to the variable name. You could probably just grab pip images (one filled and one unfilled) from some other character sheets and combine them to create the needed graphics.

They are among us!

• Kallak
    Kallak

So would this as a base work? Then just duplicate to fill in pips for the various counts?

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • cgregory
    cgregory

Here are examples of a dresden character sheet.

http://pandagaminggrove.blogspot.com/2013/02/dresden-files-rpg-part-3-review.html

https://disasterclass.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/hank-sheet-back.jpg

But since you don't actually need to reverse fill you could probably just use individual pips

for example 2 could be

0 0

rather than

0 0 X X X X X X

where 0 are unfilled pips and X are filled pips.

Jaymes might be able to shed light on what way works best.

They are among us!

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

Either would probably work fine. Not sure how it is supposed to auto fill or if you are supposed to manually click each one. 

• Kallak
    Kallak

Based on a quick glance at the script, it's dynamically building the image file name and then calling. So if I can just recreate the images and fix the earlier part of the link, it'll be good to go. Otherwise I'd have to tweak the script and I'd prefer to keep my edits minimal.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Kallak
    Kallak

So it fills from the end of the line (8) and then downward?

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Kallak
    Kallak

I'm sort of guessing based on the pictures that @cgregory supplied. I've actually never played Dresden, so I don't want to mess it up and have the sheet screwed up for everyone.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

Just curious if there is an update on the status of these sheets?

• Kallak
    Kallak

if I could get confirmation on images, I can get them uploaded to the blog and update the sheets. I'm just sort of iffy on the way the bullets are filled. Because based on the images, it seems like the first 2 bubbles don't get filled in?

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

The first two on the left of each row are not filled in  which is the starting hp of each type (physical, mental and social). Then depending on skills/abilities the hp can be increased from left to right (so more unfilled pips). 

Hope that makes sense. 

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Dont know if this will help or not as my character sheets are not DST's but total layouts on the character pages, but heres one for reference... Ignore the stuff under background as far as a DST is concerned

Telloria Stormrage

• Kallak
    Kallak

If I can quote a little Jurassic Park here, hold on to your butts.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Kallak
    Kallak

Update: I've replaced the 9 pip images 00-08 through 08-08 on the version 2.0 sheet, and as far as my understanding on the sheet's pip functionality goes, it appears to be working for the parts that use that set of images (physical, social, mental, hunger). Toughness requires slightly different image set since it's only 6, but I wanted to make sure what I put up so far is working correctly before going further.

So if one of the dresden pros could confirm that this is working as intended, then I'll move on and fix toughness, and then tweak the other sheets as well.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

It doesn't seem to work yet. Thank you for making the effort though!

• Kallak
    Kallak

I just double checked, I'm definitely seeing the pips. Are you looking at the Dresden Files Sheet v2.0?

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

https://theslofiles.obsidianportal.com/characters/kakita

This is a random character I was using and I am not seeing it yet...

• Kallak
    Kallak

Initially I was only seeing the images when editing, but that has since stopped being the case. I see the images when editing and also when not editing. Are you still not seeing them?

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

I sent you a player invite because I still don't see them on my end. Hoping I am doing something wrong and you can just tell me how dumb I am being. 

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

First, BIG THANK YOU to Kallak for working on the sheet. Dresden Files 2.0 sheet should now fully work!

Second, I am still new to the Dresden system and we encountered a small design issue we were not sure of the reason for and I hoping one of the more experienced Dresden people can give a hand. Would there be a reason to use a pip system for the "toughness" in the Stress section? We changed it to a text box which seemed the more reasonable thing to me for Toughness (so that way you can write catch, and any other special notes) but if someone says it should be the other way then please let us know so Kallak can change it to a pip system.