Obsidian Portal + Roll20 = Critical Hit

DiceWrangler
DiceWrangler

I have run several games on Roll20, which I love, but it is challenging to run a long-running game on. Why? Because players tend to FORGET things so having the ability to document the important characters, events, locations and objects for future reference is important and helps maintain a sense of continuity between sessions. And that, my friends, is exactly why I also use Obsidian Portal in conjunction with my Roll20 campaigns.

Now what if, put on your sparkly gnomish thinking caps with the spinning propeller for a moment here, what if Obsidian Portal was so tightly integrated with Roll20 that it would appear as a single site/service with the combined features of both? Of course, the integration would only be enabled for PAYING customers but it might be enough to encourage many free users -- of both sites -- to pony-up and subscribe.

Ok, I'm taking my cap off now, but what do you think? Could it be a "greater than the sum of its parts" idea or has someone already suggested this and I just missed it?

Comments

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Nice idea, and would be a great thing for those who use Roll20, but what about all of us who dont? Myself for instance. all my campaigns are done at the table IRL. Roll 20 integration on the level you are suggesting would be a hindrance to me.

• DiceWrangler
    DiceWrangler

The two services can exist independently, like they do today. But, if you want to use both services, it would be nice if there was an option (=$$$) to have them integrated. If you have no need for a VTT then nothing would change.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

So what kind of integration are you talking about? I'm not sure I see what the value would be.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• weasel0
    weasel0

Having only worked with roll20 a few times I'll have to suggest possibly something like openRPG. Built all the things inside the program and then you had direct access from the VTT to roll to hits, skills, and other things. It'd then show up in the chat. This was based on python. I'm assuming roll20 does the same basic things.

Essentially, anyone using any of these programs has to have duplicated information input to any and all places a campaign exists. OP, your VTT of choice, hard copies, etc.

Full integration would reduce duplicate entries. I'd prefer to see OP remain platform agnostic.(Especially considering how many years it's taken whoever the owners are/were to get the last recoding straightened out. I did get a cool shirt out of it and lifetime Ascendancy though.)

• ragnarhawk

I use Roll20 for most of my gaming.  It has two features that I could see linking to OP.  One is called the Compendium, and it is a list of rules and other reference material.  The other is the Journal, and that contains items specific to the campaign, some of which are visible to the players, and others which are GM specific.  The Journal contains Characters and Handouts.  Handouts can be almost any kind of informational document, so it would be nice if those could be OP pages.  It would also be nice to be able to pull up a character from Roll20 in OP.

That being said, I much prefer two separate stable platforms to an integrated platform that is broken.  Starting with some loose coupling (cross authentication?) would be a nice start.

• weasel0
    weasel0

You can activate an items specific page in the advanced settings. Some people also set up regular wiki pages for them instead.

I believe Ascendancy grants player and GM secrets.

• Bortas
    Bortas

Even though it 'isn't a recommended setting', I totally support opening the items page for your campaign. For mine, I've converted it almost entirely to be more like an MMORPG quest journal, that identifies all the little tasks and ideas about where their mystery might currently take them.

-bort

• weasel0
    weasel0

I think it was Micah who wanted to do away with them. Since he sold OP, that shouldn't be a concern.

My favorite was learning how to code link color specified by folder so I have different link colors between wiki and external, character, and items.