Character Sheet Help (copy-pasting breaks the sheet?)

NemesisD
NemesisD

So, I'm playing and running a bunch of 4e D&D campaigns, and I've just discovered that the character sheet can store text in the feats and powers section. This is fantastic, but by default, looks a little bland. I really like the readability of the 4e power formatting and would like to emulate that on the character sheet.

I tried a couple things; first, I tried straight up copy-pasting text from the online compendium into the text box on Obsidian. Looks fantastic, as it imports the style elements from the compendium - basically exactly what I wanted - however after saving, it completely breaks the character sheet and none of the dynamic elements remain visible, like the sheet becomes truncated. I can get the rest of the fields back by switching from "parchment" view to "plain" but all fields are wiped in the process.

Next, I tried using a program to generate formatted stat block and copy-paste as an image (png format). Again, this looks good, but is less practical due to no longer being able to edit within Obsidian, and it also breaks the sheet in the same way as before.

I'm guessing there is some sort of tag being left open or something similar, but my knowledge of such things is inadequate to figuring it out.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? If this can work, I am completely sold on importing all my characters to this site and very likely upgrading to Ascended.

Comments

• Bortas
    Bortas

Ulitimately, you are plugging code into a complex code mechanism. Doing this is fine, but it requires a knowledge of the code, to troubleshoot problems like these.

Not having the knowledge also is fine, but you must give and take. Try taking the text you want, pasting it into notepad. Then cut it from notepad (ie: a NEW copy), then paste it into the cell. See if you have better results. You might also try a shorter entry, see if that gets what you want.

-bort

• NemesisD
    NemesisD

Yeah, I realize that it's complicated.

I did do the notepad trick to strip out the code, and it technically works, but then all the formatting is gone, as expected, but that's not what I was looking for.

I will try a smaller block and see what happens.

One of my fellow players accidentally copied some formatting onto one of his sheets and it did work, but no clue what was different about it.

Is there a relatively straightforward way to view the code on the sheet to look for tags not properly closed? I didn't find 'inspect element' all that helpful, and plugging the whole thing into notepad++ doesn't seem like a good solution either.

Is there anyone on here that would be interested in digging into the code a little bit and tweaking the sheet?

• Kallak
    Kallak

@NemesisD,

If it helps at all, you can actually see the entire sheet setup by going to the DST listings page. View the details for the sheet you're looking into. It has the entry fields for HTML, CSS and Javascript with the input as entered by the author.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • cgregory
    cgregory

I can't remember exactly what 4ed feat formatting looks like. But roughly something like this if I remember correctly.

https://dead-men-tell-no-tales.obsidianportal.com/characters/test-dst

<table class="featbody" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; border: thin solid darkred;" height="78" width="213" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" border="0"><tbody><tr><th colspan="2" class="feathead" style="height: 18px; background: #B04040; text-align: left; padding-top:1px; padding-bottom: 1px; padding-left:0px; padding-right: 0px; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom: 0px;">Feat Name<br></th></tr><tr><th style="width: 15%; background-color: #FFB8B4; font-size:8pt; vertical-align: top; text-align: left; cellpadding: 0; padding-top:0; padding-bottom:0; cellpadding-left:0; line-height:85%;">Sub1<br></th><td style="width: 85%; background-color: #FFB8B4; font-size:8pt; vertical-align: top; cellpadding: 0; padding-top:0; padding-bottom:0; text-align: left; line-height:85%;">Sub2<br></td></tr><tr><th style="width: 15%; vertical-align: top; text-align: left;padding-top:1px; padding-bottom:1px;&amp;nbsp;; cellpadding-left:0;">Info1<br></th><td style="width: 85%; vertical-align: top; text-align: left; padding-top:1px; padding-bottom:1px;&amp;amp;nbsp;;">Description of Info 1 power. It is multi-line.<br></td></tr><tr><th style="width: 15%; vertical-align: top; text-align: left;padding-top:1px; padding-bottom:1px;&amp;nbsp;; cellpadding-left:0;">Info2<br></th><td style="width: 85%; vertical-align: top; text-align: left; padding-top:1px; padding-bottom:1px;&amp;amp;nbsp;;">Description 2 line. It is also mult-line<br></td></tr></tbody></table>

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• NemesisD
    NemesisD

Thanks Kallak, I will check that out.

And yes, cgregory, that's roughly what power blocks look like. Feats are similar but simpler.

I will read up both these and let you know how it goes.