So what's the deal with maps?

Denton78
Denton78

I tried uploading a map days ago, but so far it's still just a black screen that says it will processed in a few minutes. 

Link:  https://therivenrealm.obsidianportal.com/maps/97044

Comments

• Denton78
    Denton78

For whatever it's worth, the map showed up today. 

• teddypillen1986

how many days did it take? Also, how big was the file size of your map?. I am having the same issues.

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

I try to keep my maps fairly small, the one I've been uploading lately and it has taken between 30 minutes to 6 plus hours is 3500k, give or take a few k. That's an approximate time, I upload the map but don't always check it right away.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Have to wonder what was changed, as this did not use to be the case

Just trying to help out.

• Denton78
    Denton78

I uploaded a second map on Jan 3 and it's still processing. 

Link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcrvqd9xop2pa00/World%20Map.jpg?dl=0

The image is 1600x1600, 72 dpi. It's 800 kb.

• Metalgeek217
    Metalgeek217

I'm having the same issue. It's a small map, the size and dimensions escape me now, but it's under a meg. I even sent in a ticket over a week ago and haven't heard anything back. I've been subscriber for several months and will cancel my membership if this is the level of service, I'm going to get. I'll go pay for a wiki site.

Post edited by Metalgeek217 on
  • Johnprime
    Johnprime

So checked my site, and the map I uploaded last week has finished processing. But I saw that it was missing some things, so I re-uploaded it. Will see how long it takes to processing it again.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

The Valley of Life

• weasel0
    weasel0

It will eventually show up. Just replace minutes with days.

• timberwere
    timberwere

I have a different problem with a map.

For our urban fantasy campaign set in contemporary America, I wanted to upload a map of the U.S.

I followed the instructions of "upload a square image of max 5 MB; it will be returned to rectangular in the processing".

The map was uploaded all right, and it also completed processing, but it does not look the way I wanted or expected it to.

I basically recreated a campaign that we are playing because the previous campaign owner quit before re-assigning the existing campaign to myself. So I know what I would like the map to look like, namely like this: https://campaign-41205.obsidianportal.com/maps/24696 (old campaign).

Instead, when clicking on the map, I get a much enlarged view (https://sidetrips.obsidianportal.com/maps/99126) and the image still seems to be square, not rectangular.

Does anyone know the map size (pixels-wise) that is best for getting a map that fits the window? Or is there a guide for uploading maps anywhere that I could use?

Post edited by timberwere on
  • Bortas
    Bortas

It says right in the descriptor that it will always be a square. Always. You give it not a square, it will convert what you gave it to a square by stretching the other axis, distorting the image. To get a rectangular looking map, figure out the longest side in pixels of your rectangular map. Make a new image with, say, a black or transparent background, using square dimensions (The long side, remember?), then paste your rectangle on top of it. This will give you a rectangular looking map, from an actually square image. If you zoom out of the 'old campaign' map, you can see that this method was used (and you can see that yours was stretched)

As for making it have the default zoom/position you want... I don't have any ideas.

-bort

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

If you zoom out far enough on the old campaign map image, you'll see there is white at the top and bottom of the map. OP wants you to upload a square picture, if you don't you get a distorted picture instead.

For my Kingmaker campaign map, I added a parchment background to the image so that it would also be square. Go to the following link to see what I mean. https://kingmaker-150.obsidianportal.com/maps/95843

Make sure to zoom out far enough that you can see the entire map.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

The Valley of Life

• OPAdmin
    OPAdmin

Hey guys,

The issue with maps taking excessive amounts of processing time should be resolved, if you are still seeing maps taking a long time to upload, as in days, please let us know.

Thanks!

Jameela

• Bortas
    Bortas

I uploaded a new map last night (4.5MB, 1750px square) right before dinner, and it was ready for viewing by the time I had finished eating!

-bort

• timberwere
    timberwere

@Bortas and @Johnprime: Thank you, that was it! I thoroughly misunderstood the requirement to make the map square, duh! After I added white borders to make create a square image, everything is fine! The new map is bigger than the old one was, but that is a bonus, actually, since it is much easier now to set exact markers. Thank you again!

Post edited by timberwere on