Problem with the RSS feeds?

jhansen1
jhansen1
edited June 2009 in Bug Reports

Comments

• jhansen1
    jhansen1
    It does not appear that all my edited pages are showing up in the RSS feed. It's definitely missing the majority of my updates.
  • Figment
    Figment
    I've noted that it only tracks the editing of pages which haven't been updated in awhile. I just assumed that's to prevent people who frequently save from onslaughting the RSS feed throughout the day.

I've also noted that it doesn't track GM Only pages which get updated, which is probably a good thing. You don't want to tip players by the names of pages you're editing in secret.
  • bevinflannery
    bevinflannery
    jhansen1 - the issue isn't unique to you, it's happening with my campaigns as well. I can't figure out what's going on; from my own profile, the list of "Favorite Campaigns" and the last time they were updated can show a change made 4 hours ago, but when clicking on the campaign itself, the last change is identified as 17 hours ago. The most recent one does not show up in the RSS feed and I have no idea - short of polling my players - to find out what changed and where.

I've taken to adding a "Recent Updates" link to the Home Page, just so folks can check it to see where significant changes are occurring ... and they have to check it regularly, since the RSS feed doesn't pick up changes to that page either.
  • jhansen1
    jhansen1
    So. You are having your player physically update the "recent" page themselves when they update something?
  • bevinflannery
    bevinflannery
    So far, I'm the only one doing anything with the "Recent Updates":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/rubies/wikis/recent-updates page. For the players who are making substantive changes, they usually just shoot me a message to let me know. It's a pain, but it let's me know when I need to review something, respond to something, etc.
  • Figment
    Figment
    I, too, keep an updates page for each of my campaigns. I started it before OP started tracking updates for us, and I've never been fully satisfied with OP's version of tracking updates. It's not too hard to track my own updates as a GM. And even if players won't use it themselves, I do my best to track their updates for them.
  • Lialos
    Lialos
    My campaigns as well do not have the most recent updates showing up. I changed a half dozen pages last night, and this morning, the most recent shows changes 4 days ago.
  • Guesswork
    Guesswork
    Yeah, if this site doesn't keep track of revisions or prior page versions, can it really call itself a wiki? Isn't that kind of missing the whole point? I have no ability to track whether anything in my campaign has been updated, regardless of whether I update it or a player does it. All that is being tracked is new page creations, plus (frustratingly) the length of time since the last page update, although I have no idea what page was updated or who did the updating.

It seems like this would be a pretty straightforward thing to fix. For the way I run campaigns, it's kind of essential, actually.
  • armouredbear
    armouredbear
    for some reason the gm-only pages i have recently added have showed up on the RSS feed (and can thus be read by anyone), but many of the other updates i have made are not making it in. is there a way that i can turn off RSS reporting for my gm-only pages, and a way to get the others up there to see?