I really need a way to organize the characters in my campaigns

friendlypickle
friendlypickle

They come, they go, they die, they are replaced, they need to be saved for later.  I need some ability to organize them a bit, put them in the order I need them in for easy viewing, etc.  I'm sure this will instantly be taken care of and I'll be using these new features tonight.  However, should that not happen, please do consider it for your next update.

Thanks,

GM Stan, aka FriendlyPickle

Comments

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

My favorite hack of characters is still Kallak's http://dangerous-kalamar-4.obsidianportal.com/characters

I personally used wiki pages- here is a list of all the player characters for my game when I still used OP

https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com/wikis/crisis-group-summary

Just trying to help out.

• cgregory
    cgregory

I organize my characters other the standard PC, NPC by using unicode characters in front of their names.

For example, if you zoom down to the bottom of my character list you'll notice that Bryan and Jaiyana do not appear to follow alphabetical order, because their names are prefixed with the unicode character I use for dead characters.

https://x-com-defiance.obsidianportal.com/characters

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Interesting way to handle dead characters cgregory, thanks for posting!

With my western, if a PC dies, I change them to an NPC and change their status to show that they are dead.

Post edited by Johnprime on

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• cgregory
    cgregory

I also add a border around the dead characters based on that unicode.

img[alt*=" "] {

border: 10px solid transparent;

border-image: url(https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/124016/assets/662330/SkullBorder.png) 30 round;

They are among us!

• friendlypickle
    friendlypickle

Sadly, I'm not a coder.  I run a very large campaign and have nearly 100 characters loaded in it at the moment, and it's just unwieldy.  This seems like a very simple feature to add, just give me some additional options besides Player or NPC please, and let me alphabetize them and I'll live with it, though subfolders would be ideal.  The WIKI may be an answer though for the subfolders. and will take a look at it as an option, but I'll miss using the character sheet.

• cgregory
    cgregory

You could use the wiki to organize your characters and in your wiki link to the character sheets.

They are among us!

• Bortas
    Bortas

Not a direct solution, but I've been playing with adding a small skull and crossbones to my NPCs, and giving the PCs just a bit more flair of a background, maybe worth considering.

https://morwindl-2.obsidianportal.com/characters

-bort

• byss66
    byss66

Tags can help somewhat. I have my NPCs tagged with 'deceased', 'friendly-npc', 'neutral-npc', the names of cities they come from, factions they're in, etc.

The caveat being that it's not easy to combine two tags (e.g., friendly npcs in City X), and that the tags are viewable by your players so they can't give away too much info.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I agree with byss66 that the TAG function (Top Right in Character Edit Mode) is very useful and I have used this very effectively in my campaign, firstly to categorise characters, and then to find them quickly and easily using the FILTER function in Character Quick Search.  

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• kwiebe227
    kwiebe227

Agree with byss66 and cgregory. Without being a coder, you should be able to use a combination of tags and wikis to organize and link to your character sheets.

That being said, having more than Characters and NPCs as categories could be very useful. I'd imagine filtering based on category and tag. 

Example: You check a box next to NPC and another next to Deceased. Then you type in your tag and suddenly you're looking at deceased NPCs that have a specific tag. Quick and easy.