portal down?

13»

Comments

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Site back up.  Yippee!

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• weasel0
    weasel0

Bare minimum to keep.collecting the cash.

• Jim_Mount
    Jim_Mount

Down for me again, as of the last hour or so.

Post edited by Jim_Mount on
  • Bladorthin
    Bladorthin

I can confirm it's down for me as well....

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Thanks for posting the link to is it down right now Jim! Going to definately bookmark that URL, not just for OP but for any site I want to check out!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• morkalg
    morkalg

So... I recently signed up for Ascendant membership. Since doing so this site has expereinced a LOT of outages and when its up often times suddenly seems to slow down or give me errors saving pages and I have to save them again. 

Is this normal or is there something I'm missing about recent operations? I had a lot of game prep last Saturday and the site was down. I have game tonight and IT'S DOWN AGAIN!!! What in the hell did I pay for?

• Jim_Mount
    Jim_Mount

The site has been down or wonky more than usual lately.

Once upon a time, the Devs used to communicate when this would be happen, for maintenance. Or they were quick to reassure people when there was an outage that it was being fixed.

Nowadays?

Who knows. My gut tells me that one day soon it will just go down and not come back, like we are seeing the death throws of a drowning man. Until then, they are taking our money for ascendant memberships. I wouldn't pay for a year in advance, for sure.

Unfortunately, there isn't a site that does what OP does currently, and that is let one create campaign pages, customize them, and show them off to an extended community. There are good campaign organizer alternatives, but if you want them to be pretty you are SOL.

Edit: Of course, as I was composing that, it came back up. Thanks to whatever programmer brownies Kaleidoscope leaves milk and honey out for.
    Post edited by Jim_Mount on
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I just placed an Urgent help request on Kaleidoscope's Contact page. I immediately received an automated response, but the site was back up within ten minutes of that response. FYI.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• morkalg
    morkalg

Anyone ever look at Scabard? I used to use Epicwords way back in the day but the Admin bailed on that one so I stopped. I just got a gaming group back together and was really excited to use a site like OP. Now though, I'm feeling less and less optimistic. 

• Jim_Mount
    Jim_Mount

I have, and I tried Epic Worlds too. Scabard doesn't let you link to sources outside the site. So if you need to refer your players to another site, say, a campaign setting wiki, you are SOL. Also, its ugly.

• cgregory
    cgregory

Yeah, I've looked at pretty much every other system. All of them have left something to be desired. If these downtimes continue I might have to get off my rear and build my own site.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Well, I've built quite a few of my own websites for my campaigns, which I've stated a few times in the past, but when I went to one of them recently, I noticed some of my code isn't working as expected. I believe the hosting company I use altered something in the PHP.ini file, which has caused some of my code not to work.

So I'm in the process of fixing the issues. The thing I like/liked about OP was that I didn't have to do any coding, except maybe HTML and CSS. Well and a little JS. Not to say I can't do the coding, but it keeps me from having to code PHP and MySQL.

But with the rash of outages that OP has had lately, I believe I'm going to start going back to my own sites again. Granted I don't get the visits from a community and that same interaction on my personal sites, I do get a better uptime with them.

In fact once I discovered that OP was up again, I quickly went to my Deadwood site and grabbed all 54 adventure write ups I've done for the campaign and then went to each of my sites to run the download function. Not sure what they give you in the zip file, supposedly just data, but at least I have the data from the site and can probably write a script to parse it out into something I can use to populate my personal sites.

Got to say I'm really disappointed with what's been happening here at OP, especially since I'm an Ascendant member myself.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

The Valley of Life

• weasel0
    weasel0

Yeah, that download is a raw data dump of your pages. HTML coded I believe. It's been a long while since I did it and looked. Pages aren't separated. It really is one long page of code.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Someone that I do not wish to call out had a great download helper, but I don't know if it still works- hopefully they see this and are willing to say yes or no- but would not blame them at all if they wish to stay silent-

It was key in helping us move, so again, thanks!

Just trying to help out.

• B1tF0x
    B1tF0x

It's down again?   this is getting far more then simply annoying.

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Yeah, just tried to visit two of my campaign sites, first one to see what adventure logs I had entered to make sure that my players would know where we had to stop a month ago and saw that it was down. Then just to be sure, visited another one of my sites and it was also not showing, so all of OP seems to be down again!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

The Valley of Life

• Rob_Smith
    Rob_Smith

Good news, it looks like it's back up and running. 

• Bladorthin
    Bladorthin

Getting a lot of connection errors today. I filed a ticket, but nothing has come back yet. Is anyone else having a problem?

Post edited by Bladorthin on
  • Robling
    Robling

Yes. It hath crashed yet again. At least it waited until *after* the weeknd this time...