Public GM Resources option

Calion
Calion

I would like to expose my GM-only stuff to other users who are not players. So what I want is an option (probably on the Advanced tab) to allow logged in OP users other than my players to see all my GM-only and (possibly) Player Secret materials.

Comments

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

The only way I know to allow this is to invite specific OP users to join the campaign, then grant them Co-DM access. I don't think there's a way to do what you're describing. 

If for no other reason, all a player would have to do to access the info is log out and view the hidden content as a guest.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• alex_redeye
    alex_redeye

I believe that is why Calion was suggesting it only be visible to other OP users who are not players in the game, but your point is still valid as a person could just make a throw away account that isn't a player in the game and see all the juicy details that way.  Not unheard of for people to have multiple accounts on websites, after all.

Now, something that could be pretty cool would be an option under the "Advanced" Settings that would allow a Campaign owner to make all hidden content publicly visible.  In this way when a Campaign concludes the owner could choose to expose all the behind the scenes stuff as well making it something of a Campaign Resource.

As an example, on my Dragon Age campaign, I have created a lot of custom content for the game that I keep hidden behind various walls (creature stat blocks, notes, etc) that I wouldn't mind exposing to the world once I am sure I won't run the game anymore so people can make use of it.  Sadly, without an option like this it is unlikely that I will as I would have to manually edit a ton of content to do so and it doesn't seem like it would be worth the time investment.

-Red

Campaigns: Dragon Age: Requiem

• Kallak
    Kallak

If you're interested in sharing your campaign notes essentially, you can do what I had started to do on my last campaign. I had a "DM Declassified" section on my wiki. Basically the idea was, if it was no longer current (say pertaining to plot points the PCs had already defeated or bypassed to the point of not being usable), then it would be declassified (sort of like old government documents) and the players and public could check them out and see what could've/might've been - or at least where my head was at.

It's not an immediate sort of release, but it's in the same vein as what you're talking about, kinda.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Calion
    Calion

I believe that is why Calion was suggesting it only be visible to other OP users who are not players in the game,

Exactly.

but your point is still valid as a person could just make a throw away account that isn't a player in the game and see all the juicy details that way.  Not unheard of for people to have multiple accounts on websites, after all.

True, but I think I can trust my players not to deliberately create another account to look at secret stuff. Hell, I've got a whole list of books they're not supposed to read. Like Micah repeatedly said, if you can't trust your players, you've got bigger problems than OP can solve. I just want to make it difficult for them to accidentally run across privileged information. I know from personal experience that if secret information is just a click away, it can be really hard to resist the temptation to peek.

Now, something that could be pretty cool would be an option under the "Advanced" Settings that would allow a Campaign owner to make all hidden content publicly visible.  In this way when a Campaign concludes the owner could choose to expose all the behind the scenes stuff as well making it something of a Campaign Resource.

Yes, something like that would be great. I guess for now I'm just going to have to give up and put most of the DM-only info on the DM site I had to make in order to have DM-only maps. It's just that that's a lot less convenient.

Post edited by Calion on
  • cgregory
    cgregory

Based on the various user classes you should be able to do this fairly easily using CSS.

You already have a class that tracks logged in users, a class that tracks campaign members and a class that tracks campaign GMs.

It just requires you to create a div with a GMSecret class that you make visible to logged in users, then invisible to campaign members, then visible again to Campaign GMs.

Should be 3 lines of code. I'll post it once I'm in front of a computer and can double check the class names of the user states.

I know two of them are .campaign-game-master and .campaign-member just not sure of the logged on one. Technically you could use :not(.campaign-member) but then if your player isn't logged in they could see it, which is why i suggest the logged in user state.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Calion
    Calion

Sweeeet. Yes, if you could show me how to do this, that would be amazing. 

Now if I could only apply it to maps...

• DerkG
    DerkG

But doesn't  hitting 'edit ' as a player immediately shows the hidden div?

GM: https://knights-of-the-realm-1.obsidianportal.com/ - a Greater Pendragon Campaign

GM: https://sagaofthenorth..obsidianportal.com/ - a Dungeon World Campaign

Player/Scribe: https://thepriceofimmortality.obsidianportal.com/ - a Pathfinder Campaign

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

• Calion
    Calion

But the hidden stuff would be in the GM/Player Secret sections, so it's fine. 

• cgregory
    cgregory

I tried it out and it unfortunately only works in the public section where a player could hit edit. Granted most players probably only hit edit on their own posts.

The GM secret section only gets loaded when the GM is logged in and the player secret section only gets loaded when players with access to the secrets are logged in. For some reason I had thought I remembered them being hidden through CSS, but that might have been from long ago.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Calion
    Calion

Harumph. So there's not really a way to do this after all. Oh well.