The first step is to admit you have a problem...

Comments

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

After three sessions of virtually non-stop combats, Session 10 was a refreshing change of pace. Not a single attack was rolled!

There were many new twists and plot hooks revealed, though. Progress was definitely made.

Why were Aendir and Chesh whisper-arguing? What's so important about that weird spear??

Where is Fyerrin (the mercenary who got away) now??

What happened to Anton Khatru and his band of delvers? And why didn't Nethwen say anything about the fact that she may be the last person to see him alive??

And what will our delvers do about the collapsed tunnels? Will they find an alternate route to the Deep Temple, or will they head off on some other zany quest?

Tune in next time, Ptolusites!

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Well, it only (!!?) took three months, but Amazon finally shipped my hard copy of the Tome of Beasts. Reading through this thing is giving me ideas. My players are NOT gonna know what hit them.

*Muahahahaha...*

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Go get them UTM!

Just trying to help out.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Things that happened in Session 11:

• A wild stone Demogorgon appeared!

• The halfling warlock lost his eyeballs, but gained a fabulous new hat.

• What happens when a barbarian tries to sever a high-power electrical cable with a battleaxe? Anecdotal evidence that answers this burning question was discovered.

• A dwarf sleeps on top of a sarcophagus that goes bump in the night. He keeps trying to insert more coins so it'll keep vibrating...

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Highlights of Session 12:

• The arrogant noble delver from Session 6 is humbled

• EVERYBODY gets slimed!

• Our intrepid heroes play nice-nice with the kuo-toan minions of the Floating Queen

• We buy some slaves!

• Sneaking through the undead-filled Crypts, the dwarf fires his gun at a ghoul. But hey, there can't possibly be any repercussions to that. Right? RIGHT?

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Go Ghouls!  Go UTM!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

It only took 11 sessions, but they finally reached the Deep Temple of the Cult of the Ebon Hand!

Stuff that happened:

• Far, far beyond enemy lines, the heroes know they can't go backward to safety and they're currently deep inside ghoul territory.

• Players (not characters) very nearly wet themselves when the Deep Temple itself was revealed.

• UTM learned a valuable lesson about cheap spray paint and chemical reactions!

• The heroes did CARDIO!

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

The Deep Temple! (And the reason why that black hand is glistening? The paint is still wet! Apparently cheap spray paint and the soft plastic of the mannequin hand will chemically react and the paint will NEVER dry. Oops!)

• Maesenko
    Maesenko

Is that a ring holder/jewelry hand?

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

That just looks awesome!!

Just trying to help out.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

It was a cheap, poseable mannequin band that I ordered through Amazon. I just hot glued it to a cheap sawblade I picked up at Menards and spray painted it gloss black.

Lesson learned: cheap Krylon paint will chemically react with the soft plastic "skin" and will never dry. As soon as we were done it went in the trash. Still worth the $20 or so I spent making it.

Post edited by UselessTriviaMan on

• Garrann
    Garrann

Thanks for sharing UTM! Nice props.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Beautiful set, UTM.  I love that obsidian hand.

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

We only rolled two skill checks for the entire night's game session, and one of 'em was a Con check to see whether or not Thorzin won the drinking contest. (He did.)

Other highlights of last Friday's game:

• Nethwen's great uncle, the patriarch of her noble house, was rescued from his wrongful imprisonment.

• We got a really good look at the inside of the city's Prison. Scary place, that.

• Thorzin and Yona got to see some old, familiar faces. Behind bars.

• Nethwen got wooed by a handsome suitor!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Congratulations Thorzin!  

yes

Inner Council Member

• Omegabase
    Omegabase

"...it's the first time I've seen my high-schooler niece put forth this kind of effort on any kind of writing "

RPGs are great that way.  "I learned everything I need to know about life in...no, not kindergarden...D&D"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcanearth

Gammaworld 2754

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Highlights of Session 15: The Eyes Have It:

• The players all received brand new dice in celebration of this group's one-year anniversary. Yay!

• A LOT of off-topic BSing happened

• A floating cloud of eyes. Mos was very disturbed by this.

• Everybody had pudding!

• ...No, wait. Pudding tried to have everybody! Yeah, that's it!

(I'm a bit behind in getting this update posted, but things have been kinda crazy lately.)

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Happy Anniversary!  Use those dice wisely!  wink

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Highlights of Session 16: Cannibals and Killer Lobsters

• The halfling warlock does something impetuous. Again.

• The halfling warlock later caught a faceful of crap. Literally. There was much laughter... until it happened to everyone else too.

• Things that should never be seen, and can never be unseen. (Why oh why would anyone put a thong on a rat??)

• We discover just where the Ratmen have been getting their food... *ominous music*

• The heroes take out a couple of killer lobsters!

•  

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I haven't posted updates in a while, but we're still going strong! The ratmen of the Lost Mines have met their end, and now our intrepid group of Dungeon Delvers is looking for a new quest.

I was rather surprised when they decided to take a hard pass on what was going to be a very exciting story arc, but that's exactly what they did.

Highlights of the last session:

• Bortas
    Bortas

Sounds fun! I'm working on hard on prepping Redbrand Hideout for my crew, but using Lost Mine of Phandelver to setup Red Hand of Doom - I think my homebrew setting will lend to these two things perfectly, ending in a pretty satisfying climax.

I keep hearing about Ptolus, but I'm honestly overwhelmed at its vastness. Probably because I'm still pretty new to gaming.

-bort

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I was actually planning to run a Red Hand of Doom campaign just before I first bought Ptolus. Those plans were put on hold, which makes me slightly sad 'cuz RHoD is very possibly the best-written D&D adventure module I've ever read.

But then the City by the Spire caught my attention, and I ain't been the same since. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ptolus is the single best campaign setting book I've ever read in my 35+ years of gaming. 

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

And at last, we have a new quest to pursue!

Things that happened in Session 20: Honey, I Shrunk the Adventurers!

• Everyone drinks ant-strength potions.

• Everyone gets the size - rather than the strength - of an ant

• A bunch of angry adventurers threaten a potion-maker

• A potion-maker buys off a bunch of steamed adventurers

• A shiny new quest appears!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

How did they threaten them, with little size and strength?

Just trying to help out.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Unfortunately (for me), the PCs are high enough level now that the cleric was able to dispel the effect on herself. The wizard had left the antidote sitting on his desk, and she was able to help everyone else get to the antidote quickly (effectively ending that particular one-page dungeon in less than five minutes). Ah well, it still served its purpose. 

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

A few highlights of Session 21: Giant Moles, Killer Dolls, and Friendly Ghosts:

• The halfling insists he's a tax collector.

• A lot of adventurers touch inappropriate places on the statue of a naked dude

• The halfling is attacked by a swarm of creepy animated dolls.

• The paladin bravely, willingly allows a ghost to possess him.

• The halfling gets muzzled by his own party when he won't shut up about being a tax collector...

•  
    Post edited by UselessTriviaMan on

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

There was a really, REALLY long break, but happily we were finally able to return to the City by the Spire.

Session 22: We're Getting the Band Back Together

Highlights:

• The halfling warlock did something dumb, and literally became dumber.

• More Undead Harlots!!

• Cockroach Demons!

• And the horrible realization that we're trapped in a Scooby-Doo haunted mansion!

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Wow, I completely skipped Session 23. It was an interesting one, with several challenging rooftop battles and some big-time drama between party members!

And then there was Session 24: So Much Chaos! Highlights include:

• Minotaurs in the walls!

• The Book of Faceless Hate

• An icy swim through frozen tunnels

• A fight against a skeery chaositech hydra

• And a surprise double-twist cliffhanger to end the night!

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Man, I have really let this lag. We're already 30 sessions in, and things have taken a turn for the strange!

Highlights of the latest episode:

• ANOTHER urchin in trouble... wait, it's the same one!?

• A performance review! BY A PANEL!! angry

• A face to face encounter with an epic-level boss!

• The sinking realization tht an epic-level boss now knows who you are...