Wiki Index on front page

cdhall
cdhall

When I first found Obsidian Portal, apparently in 2011, I think the Wiki was fully present on the home page like an index.

Now I do not like that there is a static home page and you have to select "see all pages" on the right to see what it in the Wiki. Can this be changed. I'm obviously not using it much but thought I'd try to catch up the Wiki to the campaign as it looks like we may play again next month. Apparently we have a habit of taking a 12 month break... this will be the third one where we pickup a year after we left off... 

So to help get everyone back on the same virtual page, is there a setting that will display the Wiki page/entry titles by default so you can go to the Wiki, see what is available at a glance and then go to the entry you want?

This will help me see what has been done and update it. I'm hoping there is a setting to achieve this. Thanks.

Comments

• cdhall
    cdhall

The Adventure Log, Characters and Items all seem to work this way, but I'd prefer a line item to the rectangular block. 

I've only got one item in, but there are 3 Characters and 3 NPCs and I like how I can see all 6 on the home page of the Character section even if I don't like the format exactly which is OK. Being able to see what is available is great.

The Adventure log is also OK because it is meant to be a story so having the recent story on top and making you scroll down or vice-versa to see more is OK.

I'd like the Wiki to be  like the Character page. I'll go make another item to see how that looks when there are 2+ items available.

• cdhall
    cdhall

Whatever this person did, this list

http://the-chronicles-of-caledain.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page

Is better than the way mine is 

http://traubon.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page

I'd like to get mine set up like the Caledain page and see how I like that.

Someone tell me how please. Thanks!

• cdhall
    cdhall

I will wait a bit and then I think it would be easier to just install a custom Wordpress site and password protect it.

I could do what I want there I know. I know there is a reason I have not relied on Obsidian Portal before. I was excited to find it but I'm stuck now on this wiki thing and my OCD is kicking in. Ugh.

• cdhall
    cdhall

Whatever this person did, this list

http://the-chronicles-of-caledain.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page

Is better than the way mine is 

http://traubon.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page

I'd like to get mine set up like the Caledain page and see how I like that.

Someone tell me how p

• cdhall
    cdhall

I see that I like the Adventure Log.

Maybe I'll update that. 

I like how the other logs are off to the right when you select one to read on the front page.

• cdhall
    cdhall

This looks useable and I will upgrade it if I can fix the Wiki issue.

• cgregory
    cgregory

Just type in new wiki entries in a list. Odds are you are using the CkEditor, but you might find switching back to the texttile editor is easier for creating your list of wiki links.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Bortas
    Bortas

What cgregory said: use textile. That person just manually made a list, it isn't something being automatically generated by the site. Maybe create a link/bookmark to the see all pages that you are looking for, and access the page that way instead?

-bort

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Yup, what they said. I'll add a recommendation that you might want to p!an ahead. When your wiki gets bigger you'll probably want to have an index of categories on your home , rather than a list of all pages.

You can see examples of this by browsing any of the top campaigns.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith