How to play online?

chem24
chem24

So I'm a first-timer and a complete noob at D&D right now. I want to try being a DM first, and I want to know how do you play and run a campaign online, since I can't arrange game nights and I prefer playing online rather than real-time anyway. 

Help will be greatly appreciated by me :D

Comments

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Hi chem24!

Welcome to Obsidian Portal, and welcome to the greatest hobby in this world (and most others)! 

As a veteran gamer, I would actually recommend playing first before you try to DM your own game. I think you'll learn a lot more, and enjoy a far better experience overall, if you don't bite off more than you can chew from the very start.

There are many, many sites online where you can find other gamers. The two most popular sites for online play are FantasyGrounds and Roll20. I can't speak for the merits of either of these - I play exclusively at a table - but there are loads of friendly and helpful people who are happy to guide you in the right direction.

I hope this helps, and good luck! smiley

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• abu_is_evil
    abu_is_evil

We use roll20 and Skype for our games, and stream them live on twitch.   Feel free to pm me with any questions.

I know that roll20 has a good player finder where I have found someone in the past

Just trying to help out.