Question - Breaking up the Adventure Log

Comments

• falcon0365
    falcon0365
    The entries for my sessions in the adventure log are becoming quite lengthy. I guess I'm not clear on how to do a few things, but I noticed specifically in the adventure log for The Nemedian Chronicles that it is arranged with kind of a short prologue for each session, followed by a link which leads to the rest of the entry. That's what I'd like to do on mine, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

What is the technique for this? I only seem to be able to post the entire entry on the main adventure log page, and the whole thing is just becoming huge.
  • Figment
    Figment
    Check out "Collapsing Adventure Logs":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/forums/3/topics/556 elsewhere in the forums.
  • falcon0365
    falcon0365
    Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for. I guess I just had bad luck finding it. Thanks for the help.
  • Figment
    Figment
    You're welcome. I just dug up that thread for my own use earlier this week.
  • Doc4
    Doc4
    A similar question: How do I add the "Older" and "Newer" buttons I see on the bottom of different campaign Adventure Logs?

I have a massive page of 11 logs all with the
  • Doc4
    Doc4
    I hope two months is plenty of time for a *bump* on the post directly above this one.

I still have no way of breaking up all the adventure logs. That page is just massive and only getting bigger.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom / Doc4
  • Figment
    Figment
    Perhaps if you cited references, with links to both campaigns with and campaigns without these buttons, you'd have more luck.
  • ajb47
    ajb47
    I think the Older and Newer are done automagically when your log page gets long enough.

AJ
  • Doc4
    Doc4
    I had thought so as well, but the links below may disagree. Not sure.

Ex 1: This is a great example of the Newer/Older. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can move through different pages of adventure logs.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/theshepherdsbushgame/posts?page=1

Ex 2: Here is a fairly short collection of adventure logs that also has the Newer/Older buttons yet doesn't seem to need it.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wld/posts?page=2

Ex 3: Here is a fairly long page under the adventure logs tab that DOES seem to need the Newer/Older buttons yet it doesn't have them.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/farlanthia4e/adventure-log

So anyone out there using these buttons? Do you have them on your campaigns? Did you put them in? Were they automatic? Any idea when they kicked in? Page length? Number of logs? I can't figure this one out.

Tom / Doc4
  • Figment
    Figment
    Woah, those _are_ cool buttons. Can't say I've ever seen them on any of the campaigns I've browsed before. I'd contact the GMs of those two campaigns via the OP message system and see if they can tell you what they did to get those.
  • DMaple
    DMaple
    I can't see any reason why it decides to group pages like that or not in other cases. You would think there would be a setting somewhere but I can't seem to find it.
  • ajb47
    ajb47
    Huh. Well you can color me stumped. I don't think my wife did anything special to her campaign and the Previous and Next bar is there, too.
  • freyja3120
    freyja3120
    Ok, so after looking things over a bit, here is what happens: every main page (the page that lists all of the adventure logs, what you go to when you hit the tab) has previous/next buttons after ten entries. The reason example two seems short, is that the current page isn't up to ten yet.

Ex 3 doesn't have buttons yet, because there are only 9 (admittedly long) entries. The system doesn't pay attention to log size, only log number. This is why I generally try to truncate my logs.

On a specific log page, you will also have "previous" and "older" buttons, which will also list the names of these logs.
  • Figment
    Figment
    Great detective work, freyja3120! Thanks.
  • WeeBaldGuyInRedRobes
    WeeBaldGuyInRedRobes
    I cannot get this break thing to work either. All I get is a strike-through . See http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/mystara-scales-of-war/adventure-log/beginnings
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Your campaign isn't public, so I can't check to see if any of these is your issue, but here are few possibilities that come to mind right off:

* You can only use the special tag in adventure log entries, not wiki pages
    * It will not work correctly if there are spaces in it anywhere
    * The shortened post appears in the adventure log tab, not individual posts
  • Brandonsweet
    Brandonsweet
    Whenever I try to do this I get instead of the tab. What could I be doing wrong? I cut and pasted the code (minus the spaces between the dashes) from the other thread.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/honour-among-thieves/adventure-log
  • freyja3120
    freyja3120
    If I were to guess, I would think that you might be using only one dash instead of two in either or both places, that's what usually gives me the strike through. Otherwise, it is usually a space issue. Also, maybe pasting is the issue? Someone in the "truncating" post had that issue, though I don't know if it resulted in a strikethrough.

Good Luck!
  • Brandonsweet
    Brandonsweet
    well wouldn't you know it, I fiddled with the spaces like you suggested and got it working. Thanks for your help!