Problems with maps

kinnison
kinnison
edited October 2016 in Campaign Portal Building

Pretty much feel I am reaching the limits of a Free account, and the Map system is my biggest complaint.  I am more then willing to accept a single map.  And the ability to zoom in and move it around is really nice. 

But the markers are rather impractical for the size of the map at the fully zoomed out level.  I thought at first it was the size of the picture i used, since I see a lot larger maps used by other accounts.  So I spent a few hours redrawing everything to a 6000x3000 pixel picture in the hopes it would fill out and be useable at max zoomed out, and somewhat nice and clean at the fulled zoomed in level.

This is what i get

mapwoes

Instead the image got resized.  and i have 3 levels of zoom.  Useless, not so useless, and cumbersome.  Now I fully feel the Maps feature on Obsidianportal is practically pointless to use, and I have no idea how practical it would be for me to even bother paying and just hosting the image on some other service. 

Regardless I cannot pay for membership since I am unemployed and my income is rather limited, so at the momment I love Obsidian Portal for my RPG campaign, but not the Map

There is NOTHING on this site showing the limits of the size of the picture you are able to use in the map in compared to a paid account except i can have more maps

Post edited by kinnison on

Comments

• ketherian
    ketherian

Hi Kinnoson.

I don't use the maps in my Signs and Portents campaign (heck I don't even have the page set up properly). I like the idea of having the maps page as part of the campaign, but like you had issues getting it to be useful (even with a paid account).

I think the limit between free and subscriber has more to do with file-space than image size (Free: 2mb per campaign. Subscriber: 10gb per user). The space an image takes is dependent on the number of colors, detail within the image and its resolution (600px x 600px). For example, I just downloaded a 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution image; but it's only 1.6mb in size. With that logic, I should be able to have 1 in a free campaign, or 6 in all of my paid campains; assuming, of course, the rest of the content fits within the 10gb limit. The image I downloaded btw is a jpg and should not really be taken as an average for image file sizes.

• cgregory
    cgregory

The map feature is basically using some of google maps api.

Under the ascended account you can modify the size of the window for your map and modify the size of the markers (or even the shape of the markers) using CSS.  Maps aren't that big a deal to me so I don't play around with it much other than to increase the size of the selected map viewing area.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• SkidAce
    SkidAce

Can you give an example?

Pretty please....

• cgregory
    cgregory

It was discussed here 

They are among us!

• Jim_Mount
    Jim_Mount

Related question. I also am limited income-wise atm and I've canceled my Ascendant Membership for the time being. I know that prevents me from adding any more images or maps, but is it preventing me from replacing a map with another one, even if it's a smaller file size? It kind of looks like it.

• cgregory
    cgregory

Yeah, i think it does. Sometimes, i find the wiki is better for maps than the map page. You could temporarily use an external source to host the map image and link to that source from your wiki page,

They are among us!

• Jim_Mount
    Jim_Mount

Good workaround, actually. I might do it for the time being. I may be in the minority but I actually like the map page functions, though I do wish the pins could be made visible to visitors.

• abu_is_evil
    abu_is_evil

I used wikis for everything, and I felt it made a cleaner site.

Just trying to help out.