Making 3d Terrains

sabian2505
sabian2505

Any model builders out there? I am looking for advice on model terrain bases and materials. I am on a budget so also acquiring materials to build houses, taverns, dirt roads, grass, boulders, etc.. on a cheap price.

I do fly tying for fishing, so i have some experience in working with small objects.

Comments

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

There are quite a few tutorials on Youtube that deal with both terrain making and mini bases. There are also quite a few different forums and Facebook groups that deal with the same. I'll mention one in particular that I am a member of http://dmscraft.proboards.com/ which has plenty of people on there which talk terrain making all the time.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• sabian2505
    sabian2505

oh man! Thank you so much!

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Welcome!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

The Valley of Life

• Bortas
    Bortas

Honestly, I'm into the Hirst Arts stuff: for $30 or so and some plaster of paris, paint you can make some pretty spectacular terrain pieces. Search for "Hirst Arts" and look for the facebook fan page.

Post edited by Bortas on
  • sabian2505
    sabian2505

that wall and ground was made with plaster of paris?

• Bortas
    Bortas

Oh, my signature? That was styrofoam.

This is from Hirst molds, using plaster of paris

-bort

https://www.facebook.com/groups/44641935828/

Post edited by Bortas on
  • Johnprime
    Johnprime

A lot of Hirst Arts terrain makers do not use plaster of paris as it has a low strength, most use either a hydrostone or a dental plaster. I personally prefer Merlin's Magic, which is akin to a dental plaster and is a whole lot stronger, plus it cures much faster. I can cast and have a piece ready to be removed from the mold in a little over 15 minutes while when I was using plaster of paris, I would have to wait upwards of 2 hours depending on the humidity before I could remove the casts.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

The Valley of Life

• Bortas
    Bortas

Oh agreed - I only say PoP because its literally everywhere and dirt cheap. It will help you determine if its a hobby you want to dive into.

-bort

• Maesenko
    Maesenko

I'll throw in a plug for Fat Dragon Games.  They have both papercraft and now 3D printing options (with a new 3D printing Kickstarter coming up on the 6th).  Alternatively, Dave Graffam Models are good, and the two are compatible with one another.  Both are also available on DriveThruRPG / RPGNow.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

World Works Games also has good papercraft, though the powers behind the company have stopped producing new papercraft models because the owner switched from making papercraft models to video game development which is unfortunate as they made some really nice items. You can still purchase their models, but support has fallen to the community of the site, with the creators having almost completely vanished!

I also own Fat Dragon and Dave Graffam models as well, including having participated in the Fat Dragon kickstarter. I'd like to participate in this next one as well, but the funds might not be available for me.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

The Valley of Life