Allow players to edit specific wiki page

Krothos
Krothos
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
I want to allow my players to be able to edit a specific wiki page, to allow them to track "party" treasure they find in campaign. Can this be done without making them co-GMs?

Comments

• MdBLimited
    MdBLimited
    Yes. We did it on this page: https://myyth-realm-legacy.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/party-pool

One of the players updates it. I do not believe he is a co-GM.
    Post edited by MdBLimited on
  • Krothos
    Krothos
    Thank you. I didn't realize that players can edit the Wiki pages. That can be helpful and scary at the same time (they can change anything they want).
    Guess I need to ask this question in reverse... is there a way to prevent players from editing Wiki pages? LOL
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    if you can get players to edit wiki pages, please let us know your secret!

"most is have to work hard":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/happy-gamers-rewards-op-campaign/ to get players to contribute to the web sites :)
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    If a player edits a page and you don't like it. You can change it back to one of the previous versions of the page. Simply click on the icon that looks like a stack of papers, then choose the old update you want. It is on the top right of the page, just above the spot that says last edited.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    NikMak is right, I WISH I could get players to edit pages.
  • Krothos
    Krothos
    LOL, so true. :)
  • david_kristof
    david_kristof
    Near as I can tell from reading here, wiki pages are either visible and editable or hidden and non-editable. Is there no intermediate permission level where my players can read pages but not edit them?
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    Thats correct david. there is no read only permission. I've never felt the need for one either in all the years i've used obsidian portal.
  • david_kristof
    david_kristof
    Actually there is, it just isn't active on the wiki yet. Your players can view but not edit each other's characters.
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    Yes obviously, but the thread and your comment were not about character sheets, they were about wiki pages and so was my comment.

Character sheets have specific owners, wiki pages don't. The basic permise of a wiki page is that it doesn't have an owner and everyone can modify it. So it really isn't a matter of it isn't active on the wiki yet, it is more a matter of the basic definition of a wiki is that it is a page that allows collaborative editing of content by it's users. Making a wiki read only, means it is no long a wiki. It is simply a webpage.
  • david_kristof
    david_kristof
    Both I and the originator were asking about a capability we'd like to have available. Since you don't want it, nobody should. I understand.
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    No, i am saying there isn't a need because wiki's have their own methods to reverse unwanted changes.

As i've said above by their very definition wiki's are supposed to be editable by their users.

That said i have no problem with wikis having read only permissions provided the default permission was that anyone could edit the page. However, yes i do feel that there are many other features that are far more useful to have the devs working on.

Most new OP GMs seem to have this worry that their players are going to edit their wiki pages causing all sorts of havoc, it just doesn't happen. And if by some accident it did, you just recover a previous version of the page.
  • david_kristof
    david_kristof
    If "Most new OP GMs seem to have this worry" then maybe that IS a function the devs should consider working on. Since the code clearly already exists in their system, it should be fairly simple to add it to the wiki side... I can already add a link in my character to the wiki side, or from the wiki side to a character, so the pages are all the same.
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    Except those new OP GMs find that it is not actually a valid worry, because that worry never becomes a reality. I was one of those new OP GMs who thought it was a need at one point.

just because you can add a link between pages doesn't mean they are the same. You can add links between any webpages on the internet. if you look at the code for the character sheets, what determines whether a character sheet is read only by others is whether the sheet is a player character and if it is owned someone other than you. For example, my players can edit any NPC owned by the GM.

It is not simply a matter of adding code to the webpage, but also likely modifying the database tables comtaining the wikis and modifying the way rights are checked. Then retroactively setting default permissions to the existing wikis.

Make a feature request, but they have denied that feature request in the past, but with the new owners you might get your wish.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

On a similar note, I have a question about the ITEM PAGES.  I know not everyone has these, as they are optional, but do they work in the same way as normal wiki pages.  I ask this because we keep party treasure on an item page and one of my players is telling me he doesn't have access to edit this.  I can only see the GM view, so I am wondering if anyone knows if there is any truth to this or not.  As far as I am aware, as long as it is not GM ONLY, any designated player should be able to edit a wiki page, and I presumed item pages were the same.

I would be interested to hear from others who might use this facility....

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Kallak
    Kallak

Items operate in like manner as characters, they are editable by the GM and their author/owner. Transfer ownership to the person you wish to edit.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Thanks Kallak, I hadn't realised that.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member