The Ultimate Comedy Movie March Madness: Round 3-3 & 3-4 voting open!

124»

Comments

• Basileus
    Basileus
    I like how all but one are from the 20th century. And that one is popular _right now_, I wonder if it would be doing so well if it were a couple years older and not so fresh in the public consciousness.
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    "*View the Big Bracket here*":https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IJVs_KpLYlQ-fU08A8d2jlOn6CXJTwySETpuu27et1k/edit#gid=541452348

We have our Final Four:

- The Pink Panther took down Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein 14-9

- Monty Python and the Holy Grail ended Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 23-7

- The Princess Bride defeated The Big Lebowski 21-10

- GalaxyQuest upended Deadpool 15-13

"*CLICK HERE TO VOTE ON ROUND SEVEN: THE FINAL FOUR*":https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GRS329D

- (1963) The Pink Panther vs. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1973)

- (1987) The Princess Bride vs. GalaxyQuest (1999)

"*CLICK HERE TO SEE THE CURRENT STANDINGS OF ROUND 7*":https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-JV3FCDHS/

Which two of these great comedies will reach the Grand Championship? Cast your votes now!!
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Not looking good for GalaxyQuest... All I have to say is:

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, you shall be avenged!"
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    i dread the next round... are you honestly going to make the children choose between princess bride and the holy grail?! my god man your a monster; why would you do that, why ?!? cant we all just get along? * nik stumbles off and sobs quietly in a corner*
    Post edited by NikMak on
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Yes, yes I am. I *AM* that kind of monster.

'Cuz it's the Grand Finale.
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    I just cant do it, it like being forced to answer the question 'which parent do you love best?' - i wont do it, you cant make me play your sick and twisted games dammit... when is the next round?
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    It's right now!

"*View the Big Bracket here*":https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IJVs_KpLYlQ-fU08A8d2jlOn6CXJTwySETpuu27et1k/edit#gid=541452348

- *Monty Python and the Holy Grail* defeated The Pink Panther 33-3

- *The Princess Bride* took down GalaxyQuest 25-12

And now, at long last, we come to the end. Two fantastic, epic comedy movies have fought their way to the top, but only one will be crowned as the champion. Which will it be?

"*VOTE ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP*":https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HV3T95K

*- (1975) Monty Python and the Holy Grail vs. The Princess Bride (1987)*

"*SEE THE VOTING RESULTS*":https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-TV5P286S/

Thank you to everyone who has played along, and thank you to everyone else for putting up with this silly waste of time!
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    when does the voting close? i want to try and make it a draw if i can! (I will not pick between them, i cant! )
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Like all previous rounds, the championship will be open for the next 48 hours and will end Sunday morning at 8:30AM local time (Central time zone).
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    Not even close...
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    "*And in a landslide 25-6 victory, we have our winner!*":https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IJVs_KpLYlQ-fU08A8d2jlOn6CXJTwySETpuu27et1k/edit#gid=541452348

!http://earnthis.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Monty-Python-and-The-Holy-Grail-monty-python-16538969-845-468.jpg!

Thank you to everyone who played along. I hope you enjoyed it!
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Huzzah! An outcome I'm happy with, to be sure.

Can anyone really say they are surprised?

Was fun! Cheers UTM!
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    So, new genre?
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Oy.

While I'm not totally averse to the idea, it's a crapton of work behind the scenes for not much response. This was actually my second time running this - the first was several years ago in a different forum. It went so-so, but I wasn't entirely happy with how it went. I wondered if I could do better...

So this time I tried cross-posting it to three different forums (with thousands of members between them) AND to my own Facebook feed, in the hopes of getting a larger number of participants. (It turned out to be a LOT more work than I initially anticipated.) Even with that much larger audience, the participation was dismally low - the most response received on any individual poll was only 37 votes.

...So what genre did you have in mind? ;)
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Period films set in Asia produced between 1950 and 1970?
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    I'm not going to actually say what first popped into my head, but I blame the Internet for where my jaded, cynical brain took me in reaction to those first two words...

Fantasy
    Sci-Fi
    Horror
    Super Heroes
    Action Movies

Those are probably the only genres in which I could possibly be expert enough to have an educated opinion.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Horror would be a good genre, I think. Its fun and diverse enough that it should attract interest from voters.

Which reminds me that "asking for votes" is a prohibited behavior on these forums now, so you probably don't want to run another contest or you'll get banned! :P
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    If it were permitted I would vote for horror as well.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Yeah, the wording on that forum rules page is really unclear...

I would skip all of horror anyway, not my genre.
  • Krothos
    Krothos
    Action Heroes! (Arnold, Eddie, Arsenio, Jackie, Bruce, etc)
    [if voting was allowed with these new rules]
    Post edited by Krothos on
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Yeahhh... I'm tryin', but I'm drawing a bit of a blank when it comes to Arsenio action movies...

And I'm pretty sure the voting thing is about getting people to vote for your COTM or something like that.
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    Is that what that's about? Reclaiming power from the customer base on the COTM? That's a major about face on that then; wonder why? (FYI I thought the no voting thing was all about shutting down any form of organised resistance from the customer base - you know; 'ban the unions and the next thing you can do is take the safety guards off the equipment and employ children on starvation wages'. That sort of idea)
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    I don't know. I was kinda surprised by that new no-voting rule, and that's where the logic path in my brain took me.

Switching back to the other conversation, I can't say that I would be anything close to an expert on horror movies. My wife decided a few years back that she was done with the horror genre, so I've seen next to none of the more recent horror titles from the last decade or so.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    I love horror movies - best watched at night in a dark room while a storm brews outside!

My best friend and former roommate couldn't watch them without a light on. We... are no longer roommates.

RE: Voting - I was (mostly) joking, my assumption/hope is that its a generic reference to no political stuff/campaigning from a typical set of forum rules. Since these forums don't even support votes/polls I don't think it would have come up as an issue.

~Also/and I/me really/quite like/enjoy using slashes, apparently.~
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I assumed the 'no voting' part was in light of current political events, and I hope it has nothing to do with a relatively lighthearted topic like this one. As for CotM, it does seem rather counter-intuitive to have a 'no voting' clause in place if it refers to the process of deciding which campaign(s) to highlight.

Would we be able to get an elaboration for safety's sake, OPSupport?