How do I avoid Textile formatting things?

DDK
DDK
edited March 2015 in Campaign Portal Building
I've noticed that I have to put spaces after using any "+" signs or else everything between them gets underscored. This makes character sheets and monster entries I've created look unkempt. How do I stop it?

Comments

• Bortas
    Bortas
    If you have Ascendant, you can put this little bit of code in your custom CSS and never really worry about it again:
    @ins { color:inherit; text-decoration:inherit;}
    ins:before { content:'+';}
    ins:after { content:'+';} /* Plus sign no longer underlines */@

-bort
    "Morwindl":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com/
  • DDK
    DDK
    Awesome! Thank you!
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Great piece of CSS code, Bort, thanks!
  • saethone
    saethone
    Oh god bortas thank you
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    You can also (even if you are not an Ascendant member) use the notextile. tag or surround the offending text with == (double equal signs). This preserves your ability to use + to underline when you want to.

+underline+

puting "notextile. " in front of underline gives you

notextile. +underline+

While surrounding it with double equal signs gives you

==+underline+==

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• Dareon
    Dareon
    This is going to be an angry comment, because I've spent the last hour searching for this information and I'm just going to let my accumulated bile flow onto the page. I'm just venting, you have given me useful information for the problem as it stands.

Neither of those methods works when you try and do it to your entire character sheet which looks just FINE in Notepad.

I wouldn't mind so much if there was some rhyme or reason as to WHICH plus signs got read as underline control codes.

Maybe if they had a link to the Textile markup guide somewhere - ANYWHERE - on the site, like they did the LAST time I used this site, it wouldn't be so aggravating.

More to the point, who in their right mind decides to use plus signs as control codes for ANYTHING on a tabletop gaming website?
  • Dareon
    Dareon
    Update: WHY

|Appraise |notextile.+8 (3 ranks, notextile.+3 class, notextile.+2 Int)
    |Knowledge (Arcana) |notextile.+8 (1 rank, notextile.+3 class, notextile.+4 Cha)
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    I use a far simpler workaround to avoid the problem altogether: add a space between the + and the digit. +8 will start or end an underline in Textile formatting, but + 8 will not.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I agree with UselessTriviaMan, what he posted is how I solve it also.
  • weasel0
    weasel0
    Well, to answer the question of WHY: ... looks like

bc. |notextile. +8(+3 ranks, +3 class, +2 Int) |

notextile doesn't like being inside a table.

bc. | ==+8(+3 ranks, +3 class, +2 Int)== |

==+8(+3 ranks, +3 class, +2 Int)==

should work better for you. I just tested them on a page of mine. But yes, UTM and SkidAce have a possibly suitable workaround posted for you as well.
    Post edited by weasel0 on
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    The extra space is what I've always done as well. The plus sign is an extremely poor choice for markup on a roleplaying site.

I have trouble with the dash/minus sign as well as it was always how I signified emotes, but here it is markup for strikeout text.
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    I've wanted the textile help link fixed for ages.
    I use "the redcloth textile help":http://redcloth.org/textile to get me through the troubles.