OP Site Updates - March 2016

andreww38
andreww38
edited March 2016 in General Archive
Hey all,

An update from OP's management regarding improvements to the site.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Dear OP community,

As we move towards the end of March, Obsidian Portal continues to be a vital
and expanding gaming site - and one that we intend to see grow from strength-to-strength.

It’s been an up and down year of watching, learning, implementing, and getting a handle on the site.

Based on the community feedback, the input from members of the Inner Council, and our observations, we’ve made some additional changes to help OP continue to grow and thrive.

These changes include the following:
1) We’ve parted ways with AaSamspon as an “official” member of the OP staff and thank him for his efforts in February and March. We wish him the best of luck in his other endeavors and look forward to seeing him around the community.

We are in the process of recruiting a new community/customer support manager. If you or someone you know might be interested in this role, check the next comment following this post for details.

2) andreww38: Having been actively involved in OP's operations since December, Andrew has asked to take on roles within other projects, and will be stepping down as operations manager at the end of March (though he will still be active as an OP user and will also help serve as Kaleidoscope's "eyes and ears"). Andrew has done a tremendous job in driving OP to the next level and bridging any gaps at OP!

3) Since the beginning of March, Kaleidoscope's Chief Technology Officer, John Hudak, has become actively engaged with the OP infrastructure, improving OP's code base, and technical operations.

Our pool of programmers has also been reorganized so that code fixes, and new features will have a higher level of stability, reducing the frequency of errors, function failures. John’s background (12 years at Microsoft, a additional half-dozen years running huge e-commerce infrastructure and development efforts, and his passion for the gaming community) bring a new level of critical thinking and execution to the team.

The technical team is now working on optimizing OP's core code to create THE quality gaming experience for all OP users (but especially Ascendant users).

4) We appreciate your continued support, patience, and candid feedback. Feedback is always welcome. Ping Andrew at [email protected] with any suggestions, feedback on what you would like to at OP, or to volunteer to be a member of the newly created testing task-force.

5.) We’d like to mention also, that KillerVP has accepted an appointment to the Inner Council to help keep OP on the right track. Welcome to the team!

Thanks all!

Cheers,

The OP Management Team

Comments

• andreww38
    andreww38
    The position that OP is recruiting for is:
    ----

Online Support and Community Evangelist (RPG Gaming)

Do you have a love for table-top and multi-player gaming? Do you love building amazing websites and online communities? Do you have what it takes to gain confidence to take the spotlight on a major internet role-play gaming forum and communicate to customers and managers on billing and technical issues? We are currently looking for an online community liaison to help support the OP community. This would be a part-time hourly work-from-anywhere support role (
    Post edited by andreww38 on
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    *#2* Andrew, I think I can safely say on behalf of the community, that we appreciate the breath of life that you breathed into OP after it had been dying a slow death for two years. Myself, and I think many members who had been watching during that time, believed the site was gasping its final breaths. Your attention (and finally getting some support/attention from Kaleidoscope, I think) has changed that, and while there are still some persistent issues, things have much improved and I'm glad to say that I can again see at least a path for OP returning to its former glory!

So, in short, I hope to still talk to you around here. I know it was probably a rough turnaround of the site, but the OP community appreciates your efforts (despite our initial skepticism). Also, tell Kaleidoscope you deserve a raise.

*#5* About damn time! KVP has been a diehard evangelist trying to keep the OP community alive during the long Dark Years. He's already done immeasurable good for OP and that was before he got a title for it.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I am applying for the position as well. I want to try and work with Kaleidoscope to truly fix the site! Any support for me doing so would be greatly appreciated!
    Victor aka killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com

Just trying to help out.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Commincation. It's so refreshing! I think you guys are on the right track, and I would add the KillerVP would be a perfect community member to promote to that position.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Regarding #1 and #2

I'd like to preface this by saying that Andrew has done a great job in the position, and I appreciate everything he has accomplished. Since I never had reason to converse with AaSampson, I can't say anything to the quality of his work, but I have heard good things. I applaud everything that has been achieved overall in the last few months, and the much greater communication has been a boon to us all. And I'd like to echo what Basileus said, we're certainly back on the right path to where OP used to be (an award-winning site with an award-winning podcast/blog), and maybe we're even getting to where we all imagined it was going during the Kickstarter. Things have been very good around here compared to the last couple of years; there have been a few hiccups in 502 Gateways and persistent email issues, but even those are getting better.

But now with that said...

While I understand that personal desires or professional issues can cause change of position, I must admit I am rather disappointed that this is occurring yet again. What we as a community NEED is someone who is going to stay for the longer haul, not one after another one or two, even three months at a time. Again, I get that personal issues may come up, or that someone isn't performing up to the task at hand. Or maybe they want a change, or maybe they're just flighty like that, I don't know. But this community and this site in general has not had a reliable, regular face for more than a few months at a time since Kaleidoscope took over, and we were mostly in the dark for two years before that.

I just wish that we would have someone...reliable? regular?...enough to stay with us so we wouldn't continually have to spend a month or so waiting -- for them to get acquainted with the site, learn the issues at hand and where they stand, meet and greet with the [regular] forum users who actually speak up, etc. -- before they start to really get into the position and do what we've been waiting for them to do. And then leave within 1-3 months... And then we start this all over again, for whatever reason. And then we still don't know what changes are going to stick, and what ones are going to fall off (seems like communication is the first to go, even if it comes back).

To be frank, I'm tired of this revolving door of help. It's getting to the point where I wonder why I learn names or contact info.

- - -

This brings me to #3.

Hello to John Hudak, thank you for fixing and improving our code base! Keep up the good work! We really do appreciate it, and we can feel all the improvements!

- - -

But most importantly, regarding #5 and the point I was leading up to throughout my rant.

KillerVP, you deserve this position. Not just the Inner Council, but the official job position as well. Of all the members of this site, I know of no one more committed to the cause, more willing to help others, and more dedicated to making sure that issues are brought to the attention of those who can do something about it and then also making sure they are done. You have been an amazing boon to this site, this community. You're beyond well-established and invested here, you're practically built into the architecture! I know that you won't abandon us, because you've already been through the worst trial we have undergone and come out on top, albeit a bit hardened by it. I've been here for around 8 years now, and I honestly think that if you had left during the long dark that was post-Reforge, this community would have dissolved by now. You truly care about this site and the people on it, and that is what matters most.

So, congratulations for your placement in the Inner Council, and I really hope you are selected as the "Online Support and Community Evangelist".
    (Although, I could do without the "evangelist" part...too many religious and swindling connotations for my liking. "Liaison" or "Ambassador" have a more pleasant tone to my ears.)

As Always,
    _~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Basileus
    Basileus
    I will say this: killervp has already stuck around for the long-term and through the hard times, and really wants to help the users. No one hired from the outside will have that track record, or that kind of automatic "buy-in" and support from the rest of the community.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks for the kind words!!

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Thanks for the update.
    I agree that Andrew's contribution has been outstanding and he will be sorely missed.
    Thanks, Andrew, for instilling some hope within our community.
    May you and Aaron do well in your new ventures.
    KillerVP has shown for years now that he is a rare artifact within the treasure horde of OP.
    To give the job of "Evangelist" to anybody else would just be sheer lunacy..... REALLY!

I love OP and I feel things are on the up....I will miss Andrew but hope that whoever takes his place follows in his steps.

I am really only a leaf by niggle. You guys are the twigs!
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    You are Yggdrasil itself sir, not a mere leaf or twig.

Just trying to help out.

• Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    Congrats Killervp you are 1000% deserving and more. You're a pillar to the community and leader in the good fight. I can think of no better person to be the community's eyes and ears and voice in the company.

And I would also like to say my thanks to Andrew for all his hard work and openness. (and sassiness) Since joining this site I have watched the community turn around and I have seen so much hope from a site that had become jaded from the years left in the dark and you sir are a large part of that.

I hope once again with these changes they are a move forward. A growth as a company and a community. I retain hope for the future of this great site!

~
    The wars of man are nothing to the wars of Gods.
    "Realm of the Six Gods":https://terrasia.obsidianportal.com/
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Well, it will be sad to see Andrew step down. He has truly helped keep OP alive when everything looked bleakest. Thank you for all the hard work and dedication

KillerVP. About time you joined us on the Council. So glad to see your enthusiasm return. HELL YES you should have the job, BTW

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    You want to know what I think and feel...scroll up and re-read Maesenko's post.
  • weasel0
    weasel0
    Well, it's either all good things or Killervp couldn't figure out how to abandon us the normal way so is taking the established route of work for 2-3 months and get reassigned and never speak again.
    !http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/803157/24486811/1394463097613/Napolean_Dynamite_just_kidding_meme_.png?token=NA%2Ft%2FkUhiR3DG%2BVJswd5NXhaTYg%3D!
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    weasel0- that was hilarious- thanks.
    Of course first they have to hire me....

Just trying to help out.

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    is there any ETA on when the video embedding will be fixed / prognosis on why it's not working (and sometimes periodically shows back up, only to go away)?
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    i hope we will still see Andrew on these boards, and depending on his relevant previous experience (lets face it, for all we know your a scurvy riddled 14 year old who never leaves the basement!) KVP seems a logical a choice for the role.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @tau- There is a meeting this week, I will try and get more information.

Just trying to help out.

• weasel0
    weasel0
    Is there server maint stuff going on? Severs seem to be responding really slow.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    definitely seeing slow server / 500 errors galore right now
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Interesting, just updated 5 pages, with images, and had no issues.

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    @NikMak - I will be here.

I think kvp is more than a scurvy ridden 14-year-old boy. I had a skype video call with him (Well, he had his camera on, Supreme Leader Snoke took mine (Sith-in-training don't get to use them till we finish basic). kvp looks more like Obi-Wan, with a ship's steering wheel on the wall of his transporter cabin.

-
    To address some of the emails, PMs, I've been getting.

1) I've not been fired (sorry!)

2) I was needed on another full-time gig, and though management had asked if I could still work on OP on a part-time basis, the other gig realistically would take 12-14 hours/day, so I might not be able to pass the intelligence saving roll to be as funny (or unfunny) as I usually am on here.

3) I might be back in a staff capacity in the future if things free up a little (I will push staffing for more Twi'lek, er, admin support)

4) My intention in coming into OP was to rid the Empire of those troublesome email notification errors and 500 errors, obviously caused by those Rebel scum.
    Although we haven't rooted out every pocket of resistance, my spies tell me that a certain R2 droid is still causing some lag issues for an Imperial agent, codenamed Tau, because of his hand in the destruction of the Death Star and Starkiller Base, we're confident that we will root all of them out. More details to come on the Inner Council call on Wed evening. The CTO John Hudak will be giving some project updates then.

5) I'll still be on the boards, building out a wiki, taking over the world. Nothing has changed.

tl:dr version: I'll be on the boards.
    Post edited by andreww38 on
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Andrew, don't ever change. I love your sense of humor.

And please, if you do get the opportunity, do come back. Like many have said, you've really helped lighten this place up the last few months, and I'd love for that to continue.

As Always,
    _~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• NikMak
    NikMak
    agreed :)
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Awwww, thanks guys.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    _- pokes Andrew in the eye -_

Ha HAH! We were just lulling you into a false sense of security.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Haha.

Meanwhile, I've been hiding in the shadows, envenoming my dagger...
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Damn! Abort, abort!

_- skitters into an air duct -_
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Everybody remembered to bring their Spaceballs: the Flamethrowers, right?

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    The kids just love 'em...

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith