The first step is to admit you have a problem...

UselessTriviaMan
UselessTriviaMan
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
I can't share this with my players, but I gotta share it with somebody.

So I took this "Ptolus":https://ptolus-city-by-the-spire-by-bryan.obsidianportal.com/ city map

!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/UselessTriviaMan/Ptolus%20Map%20small_zpspmr4lepd.jpg!

and - because it didn't already exist and I'll find it useful _some_ day - I added the "city sewer grid.":https://ptolus-city-by-the-spire-by-bryan.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/sewers

!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/UselessTriviaMan/Ptolus%20Sewer%20Map%20small_zps3azyxrqc.jpg!

They say the first step in overcoming an addiction is admitting you have a problem... ;-)

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

Comments

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Gosh! After all that work, I certainly hope you get to use it!

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Oh, I'll use it. Even if my current gaming group somehow implodes and we never play again (not likely), I intend for this to be my fantasy campaign world for at least the next decade. ;)

Under Ptolus is a vast network of ancient dungeons and catacombs, in addition to the sewer grid, and I actually like that these aren't mapped out in detail in the source material. It gives some good general info on these, but it's up to the individual GM to give it as much (or as little) detail as they desire.

Me, I'm probably gonna get a lot crazier with detailing all the nooks and crannies down there. (That came out a lot dirtier than intended.)

I have all kinds of fun in store for my players, once they finally decide to take the plunge and really start exploring the "Dungeon.":https://ptolus-city-by-the-spire-by-bryan.obsidianportal.com/wikis/the-dungeon There are many places where the Dungeon and the sewers intersect or butt into each other, and I've got oodles of plot hooks to send 'em into the dark places beneath the city streets.

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Looks like it just follows the main streets... Not that that highlighting the main streets isn't useful in and of itself.

I assume your players don't frequent the forums, so they won't see this?

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Nice work.

When you get down to writing your fantasy novel and are working the characters through the sewer/dungeon systems, you'd have already done the heavy lifting and mapping and plotting for that section?
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    UTM

I doubt not your intent, nor your purpose, nor even your resolve. I know you will make them suckers BLEED in them stinking passages! I sense a lot of strange monsters lurking in mirky depths. I feel the awe of a glint of magic shining from the bottom of a dark pool. I can envisage various forms of "Stinking Cloud", horrific mutations of giant rats, weird deadly vegetables floating on suspiciously calm surfaces and a putrid Charon, draped in a mantle more disgusting than the river Styx itself.

Have fun!

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    The characters will eventually see a version of this map, unless they decide to not join the Delvers Guild for some reason. Not worried about them stumbling onto it here.

And yeah, it made sense to have the main (red, 20' diameter) tunnels mostly follow the main, wide cross-town streets. The smaller (cyan, 10') tunnels are much less likely to do so, and the smallest (3' diameter) pipes I can add where I specifically need that level of detail.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Wow...I totally glossed over the cyan pipes. I just thought that was part of the original map in color shift, I guess. Whoops.

It's more amazing now. :P

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    I live in awe of the detail in that sewer network!
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    My frustration.

For various completely unrelated reasons, we've had to cancel the last two game sessions. And I just learned that this weekend's game is also kaput.

_I WANNA GAME, DAMMIT._

• Basileus
    Basileus
    Pass the time by coming up with random encounter tables for the sewers...

| *d10* | *Random Encounter* |
    | 1 | Otyugh |
    | 2 | Otyugh |
    | 3 | Otyugh |
    | 4 | Otyugh |
    | 5 | Otyugh |
    | 6 | Otyugh |
    | 7 | Otyugh |
    | 8 | Otyugh |
    | 9 | Otyugh |
    | 10 | Otyugh Bard |
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Bravo, sir. I genuinely laughed out loud. :-)

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    UTM, I get the frustration on so many levels. My dice are collecting dust.

Dust! DUST!!!

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST!!!!!

Sorry, too much dust in here. Must be all the dice...

...Is the dust collecting dice?

...Gamer dust! I have players!

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    I mean, I like Otyughs as much as the next OCD DM worried about how the ecology of his dungeon works and what happens to all the monster dung... but... dude... sewer random encounter table needs to include a few nods to tradition - like rats and alligators, but also Otyughs
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    and don't forget Neo-Otyughs
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Also, the under-appreciated Sewer Nymph!
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    Fun Fact: otyugh was my "first player kill":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/13-the-missing-apothecary ;-)

-bort
    "Morwindl":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com
  • Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    sewer nymphs are my new favorite enemy Bortas
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    A few green slimes in the random encounter table wouldn't hurt either.
    Cos everyone loves jello.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    @lxcharon - agreed, everyone should have a favorite enemy Bortas.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    +2 bonus to rolls against Bortas (Bortases, Bortasi?)?
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Borti

Just trying to help out.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    There's always 10'x10'x10' room for jello cubes.

And I actually took "Improved Favorite Enemy (Bortas)" last time I leveled, so now it's +4!

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    so what's the game mechanic difference between gelatinous cube and jello cube?
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    I believe its something to do with damage resistances. Gelatinous cubes often have large metal swords stuck in them:

!http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/7/72/Gelatinous_Cube.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20070328050648!

While jello is usually skewered with tiny plastic blades:

!https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b6/dc/c3/b6dcc33a9d56b82b4317614f3db2996f.jpg!
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Basileus: We use plastic swords against the Rust Monsters. That's their jellied blood being served, y'know.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Basileus
    Basileus
    That explains the correlation between my jello addiction and extreme iron deficiency...

Although I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the boiled pigskin and bones that its actually made from.
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    I just realized that our next scheduled game session is on my wedding anniversary. This is becoming almost laughable.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    So sorry UTM... so sorry.

Just trying to help out.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    The family that plays together...?

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Nahh, my wife is a non-gamer. She tried it out for my sake, but it just isn't her thing.

And for the record, "gelatinous cubes wielding swords is totally a Thing, and it is Awesome.":http://rustyandco.com/comic/36/