Wiki Links not working - RESOLVED

GMStew
GMStew
edited February 2016 in Bug Reports
This may be caused by my noobiness or general ability to inexplicably break things; but is anyone else having problems with Wikilinks?

I have a location for my campaign that I've written a Wiki article for that I want to cross-references to some of the NPCs I've created. However, when I try to insert the link anywhere, all I get is dumb text - i.e. [[Setting | Setting]], rather than an actual link.

Am I just a moron, or is something borked?

Comments

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    tested in my campaign - old wikilinks are working, creating new ones without difficulty
  • GMStew
    GMStew
    Hmm. Just me then.

There is of course the very real possibility that I'm just doing something dumb.

Anyone else?
  • GMStew
    GMStew
    Oh God. I'm a moron. I just worked out how to fix the problem.

The location I was writing the wiki for was a ship called "The Rapture of St.Cordelia".

Yep. I put that period in the name, and that bolixed up the HTML. Remove the period from the name (i.e. call it The Rapture of St Cordelia) and it works just fine.

Let that be a lesson to any of you other HTML-numpties.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    yeah that's one of those things I learned by doing (for me it was trying to have wiki pages on George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush for my timeline thingy)
  • Abersade
    Abersade
    Here's a list of the common stuff that works and doesn't work, if it's at all helpful: "https://abersade-testbed.obsidianportal.com/wikis/special-characters-in-wiki-links":https://abersade-testbed.obsidianportal.com/wikis/special-characters-in-wiki-links
    Post edited by Abersade on

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Nice, Abersade!

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Of course, if you are doing a game in certain languages you are completely screwed, or in certain settings. The issue is pre-Reforge this was not an issue...

Just trying to help out.

• weasel0
    weasel0
    Speaking of pre-Reforge to now, i've just noticed(and i'm sure those of you who've been here the whole time noticed a long time ago) that there's no longer a link difference between normal wiki pages and characters? all the links that used to follow a:places or a:characters no longer work and they all take from main.maincontent a; now. Though as I've said, I never mastered CSS nor have I yet so.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Guys, guys... its "Preforge". Use the right terminology, gosh!
  • weasel0
    weasel0
    Well(and only to further derail), if this version of the site is due to the Reforging, wouldn't the original site have been a result of the forging of said original web site and thus when referring to the time period betwixt the time of the reforging and the original forging be prereforging?

and my quandary still sits(on the page).
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    It's a portmanteau of "Pre" and "Reforge", like brunch or smog. It is superior to the alternatives by virtue of sounding cool and clever!

- crickets -

...it's important. Really!
  • weasel0
    weasel0
    But wouldn't that necessitate the use of two separate words not the shortening of prefixes?

....it's incredibly important!
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    "It’s a portmanteau of “Pre” and “Reforge”"

I don't profess to be a linguistic expert (though some women have said I am a cunning linguist...).

The hyphen separation is useful for me as it differentiates the time period: Pre-Reforge and Post-Reforge in the same way that Post-Apocalyptic world is an easier read than postapocalyptic work.

Also, the hyphen is more universally accepted when it's used as an adjective, eg: Pre-Reforge Era (Axe-wielding dwarf, Money-giving merchant), though it becomes a portmanteau (not an easy word to spell) when used as a noun, eg Reforging.

So there's no universal "prereforging" vs pre-reforging, "postreforging" vs post-reforging, "reforging" rule in more book. I tend to use whatever is most easily understood and what makes the most sense and lessens "WTF is he saying" type responses.

Generally, I go with "Reforging", "Pre-Reforge", "Post-Reforge".

Having said that, use whatever is most comfortable for you and as long as it's fairly easy to figure out, just go for it.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Sure... if you want to sound _lame_! Like some kind of square!

Us groovy people will stick with our nifty Preforginess.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    It all sounds a bit suspiciously like Plitting to me....

....Hairs-Plitting, that is....

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member