DST Adoption Drive

ChainsawXIV
ChainsawXIV
edited February 2016 in DST Development
Hey there folks! One of OP's most unique features is its dynamic character sheet system, but many of the templates for these sheets could use a bit of modernization, some bug fixes and... at the end of the day, just a bit of love, really. Perhaps their original creator has moved on to other hobbies, or perhaps he simply doesn't have the time to take care of his creations any more, but whatever the reasons, many of our sheets are more of less abandoned, and have been for years.

One of the updates recently made to the system is the ability to re-assign existing sheets to new authors, which allows me to do something I've wanted to do for some time now: find these sheets new owners who can fix them up, and get them working right again. If that sounds like you, post below with which DST you'd like to adopt, and we'll work out the details!

The process of adoption will be pretty simple:

# Let me know if you are interested in adopting, and which sheet you want to adopt (or I can find one for you).
# I contact the current sheet author and talk it over with them, to make sure they're not still working on it.
# If they agree (or don't respond after a while) I'll assign the DST to its new owner and work can begin.

As a reward for creating or adopting DSTs, the staff here at OP have been generous enough to offer a limited quantity of complementary ascendant time, under the following guidelines:

* Your work must be high quality, both in appearance and in technical terms - nice looking and free of bugs.
* You will be awarded more time for more popular systems (sorry, no free time for sheets nobody else will use).

Note that the old offer of DST time mentioned in some of the documentation is a relic from when the system was first being kicked off, and Micah wanted to seed the system with sheets for the most played games on OP. These new guidelines supersede that program, and we'll clean up any old references as we update the documentation.

Comments

• NikMak
    NikMak
    feel free to delete this post if it doesn't belong here - but is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do the character sheets? also what does DST stand for?

sorry for my ignorance :)
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    I'm working on an FAQ and updated documentation that should answer all those questions and more, and may well come in here and clean this up when that's ready... but in the mean time:

DST stands for dynamic sheet template. They're the design templates used to create the fillable character sheets you can select on character pages. For example, "this sheet":https://sotfa.obsidianportal.com/characters/kadon uses "this template":https://www.obsidianportal.com/dynamic_sheet_templates/2.
    Post edited by ChainsawXIV on
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    ahh... ok I need to learn some stuff before i can help with that i think :)
  • Kallak
    Kallak
    As long as you don't reassign my SWSE DST. I might be lazy in working on it, but I'm here.
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    I'll take the SWSE sheet. Doesn't seem like anyone is working on it...

:X
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Righ, so, deleting the SWSE... hang on now... :p

The process for this will be more or less like so:

# A user volunteers to adopt an existing DST.
    # I PM the current author to discuss it with them.
    # If they agree, or don't respond, adoption happens.

Hopefully that will make everyone happy.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Side note: We want to go back to the old days of recognizing work going into DSTs, so I'll talk to Chainsaw about this and we'll work out some possible permutation of:
    1) ascendant time
    2) badges
    3) other swag (virtual or physical)

for work done on DSTs.

Cos there could be quite a bit of work involved, though once it's done, other GMs/players using the same system stand to massively benefit from the DSTs.

-
    All hail ChainsawXIV, Master of DSTs!

PS: check out his "DST-styled anime list":https://sotfa.obsidianportal.com/wikis/chainsawxivs-anime-list and "Gilheru's":https://sotfa.obsidianportal.com/wikis/gilherus-anime-list

(Upcoming OP blog post about game-related anime coming soon)
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    What about those that are doing the badges and the COTM?

Just trying to help out.

• ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Added some information to the main post above about ascendant time rewards for DST creators and adopters. I've got at least a couple that need new homes already, so please holler if you'd like to take a crack at this and earn some free time along the way - working on an existing sheet can be a great way to pick things up before creating your own.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    not sure if appropriate for DST, but I am inching towards wanting to display exoplanets (fictional and non-fictional) in the GURPS Space planet data record sheet format... and would be willing to learn more coding to do that
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

So how goes the adoption process?

Just trying to help out.

• hades200082
    hades200082

Maybe if anyone was actually approving the DST's in a timely manner they would get more traction?

• jodie
    jodie

Do you have the buggy sheet list handy? 

It might be good to deprecate unmaintained squiffy sheets so they can't be selected for new characters.