Tucker's Kobolds

Tau_Cetacean
Tau_Cetacean
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
Tucker's Kobolds were mentioned in another thread

For those who do not know this piece of D&D legend:
http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

While the article and concept were great, I've always felt a little sad it was just a short article, and not, like, a dungeon module... so, I'd like to put out a call: anyone interested in collaborating on a mega-dungeon that involves Tucker's Kobolds? I feel like this is something ripe for crowd sourcing... like, multiple sadistic bastards need to get together and spitball all the things these guys would do

only parameters I am set on:
1) it has to be kobolds, like, yeah, the article specifically makes the point Tucker's Kobolds don't have to be Kobolds to be Tucker's Kobolds, but in the spirit of homage, they should be kobolds
2) it has to be on the first level of a multi-level dungeon (and so people not interested in Tucker's Kobolds per se can contribute)
3) open source / share alike (e.g. anyone who contributes is free to use the final product), so it shouldn't be tied to anyone's D&D campaign specifically

parameter I am sort of set on:
4) I'm a holdover and stick to 3.5rd edition... I'm told Pathfinder is quite similar... but definitely there should be a consensus on what edition we're using... or a dedication to offering side-by-side translations for things like stat blocks, so it can be compatible for different editions?
5) thinking about creating a public campaign here on OP to host this... but open to other suggestions for what the best platform for a collaborative mega-dungeon might be

one of my inspirations for the collaborative dungeon idea is seeing people get together and expand the old 1st edition underdark modules:
https://sites.google.com/site/deadgreyhawk/mappingthedepths

Comments

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Tucker's Kobolds must have been related to the "Dragon Mountain Kobolds":https://rpggeek.com/thread/675732/dreadful-meatgrinder-or-simply-ahead-its-time! I own that meatgrinder of a boxed adventure set, though I never got to run it (which was probably for the best, all things considered).

_Edited to add:_ Well whaddaya know? I just learned somethin' today! The Dragon Mountain kobolds were apparently inspired by Tucker's Kobolds. I hadn't heard of KT before, but I mistakenly assumed it was the other way around.

I really like your premise! I'm in the early stages of creating my own megadungeon, and I love the idea of a dungeon section that even the high-level delvers avoid. There could be a _really_ long way 'round, but desperate delvers could try to sprint through the gauntlet to get out fast...
    Post edited by UselessTriviaMan on

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    OH DEAR GODS WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

But seriously, good luck with this.

As Always,
    _~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    UselessTriviaMan - that is not actually useless trivia, you know that, right? maybe I should invest in getting a copy of Dragon Mountain

Mae - because. just because.
    Post edited by Tau_Cetacean on
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I enjoyed the read, Tau

The most challenging encounters always involve humanoids!

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    Twiggy - glad you liked it...

Now that I am dusting the mental cobwebs, I remember I'd started a mega-dungeon that aimed to have "Tucker's Kobolds", except they were hobgoblins... to be consistent with other parts of the campaign world

Already OP forums gave me one nasty idea (someone's "proudest moment" involved the judicious use of a severed rust monster tentacles... well.. Kobolds can play at that game too)....

also started to flesh out a trap idea I've had for a while... involving a sliding wall (that the kobolds move via rope and pulley), magnetized lodestone behind it... as a kind of line-of-sight weapon against metal-armored adventurers...
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    That reminds me of an early "Shimring":https://shimring.obsidianportal.com/ adventure I ran. They knew they were going into a dragon's cave. What they didn't know was that it was a Rust Dragon, supported by kobold minions, two smaller dragon offspring and a human monk. It was quite a skirmish!

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    there are rust dragons?

(not that I can judge too much... I once used a mind-flayer / dragon hybrid thingy from a Dragon magazine article)
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    LOL! Mind Flayers are pretty killer on their own, so the dragon hybrid thingy sounds distinctly dangerous.

Yes, Rust Dragons DO exist, and I can tell you, a few items were "LOST" on that encounter!

twigs

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    The players haven't discovered its existence yet, but the Delver's Guild has a name for the kobold-inhabited region of the Dungeon. They call it the FUG (short for *_the F. U. Gauntlet_*).

:-D

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    Just ordered a copy of Dragon Mountain from Amazon... will look through it for ideas on how to run kobolds Tucker-style
  • Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    I ran a similar adventure a few years ago with Gnolls (my preferred monster race in RPG's, in fact anyone playing with me should just expect to fight Gnolls at some point.) Where gnolls had taken up residence in an abandoned barracks and while they were closer to the correct level as the players than Tucker's Kobolds seem to be used, my players fought barely any of them, instead having to deal with the traps the Gnolls had laid everywhere. I loved setting up that adventure, it was basically an everything but the kitchen sink situation, was it a trap I've seen somewhere that I've been wanting to use but haven't had the opportunity? Well I used it in this barracks. Meanwhile I had Gnolls firing down on the players from any high vantage point I could put in a room. I think that's the closest I've ever gotten to having a player quit on me. And the few Gnolls that were on the ground would pop out of anywhere, behind fake walls, hiding in barrels, anywhere I could shove them. As a GM who plays more towards telling a fun and exciting adventure than a GM vs Player gauntlet it was a great change of pace for me.