Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    repost from a different thread:

“@killervp – I am going through the help site, forums and various other channels to identify and address the outstanding issues, and as you’ve pointed out, there’re probably hundreds of them, with some dating to 2011”.

Andrew

In the almost year since you all have taken over shouldn’t you already have a list of the long outstanding issues? Since Jacksh#t has been done about them, it is not likely the issues resolved themselves.

What is your internal process for “fixing” things? How do you triage what is to be fixed? Do you have a schedule of what it is you are working on? and if not why? if so, please post it. Why is it that almost a year after you all have taken over the site is in worse shape? What are the other Inner Council members up to? What do you have to say to the Ascendant Members who have been paying for a sub-standard product (especially for the last 4 months or so)? Why should anyone currently feel that the work they do on their campaigns will be safe?

Lastly, in your own words please tell me why I should come back as an Ascendant Member?

Leonidas300
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    With another "new" hand on the helm, will this stall us out for another set of multiple months while they "get a grip" on it?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Actually he is not new- he said when Jerry was fired that he was the COO.
    This is what confuses me- he said he was the COO, and now says that he was assigned to another project. So did OP go without any management for months, or was the person in charge just silent while nothing happened? Why now- is it just because Alex left? Does Kaleidoscope have any clue? What about the CEO, who sent one message through Alex, yet not a peep since, nor any fixes.
    Bottom line - why should we believe anything has changed, or will change? What is the likelihood of people getting reassigned again?

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Again, Leonidas says it best....

Just trying to help out.

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    It was a rhetorical new, hence the quotes.

In my view we keep getting told "we are getting a grip on the situation and once we do things will be fine you'll see" several times to many.

Boy cries "wolf" syndrome...
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks Skid- thought so, but now I am sure on what you meant. Hope we finally get answers...

Just trying to help out.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    OK gang, gonna start my New Years Resolution early

Look, I've been as down as all of you with the current situation of OP. Frustrated, annoyed, PISSED.

But we got a response, and if you look at what is there, and set aside your anger for just a moment, you'll see we got a little bit more than the usual "everything is going fine and will get better" message.

Look, ok, we can;t fix the technical side of things, that sup to Kaleidiscope, but we CAN fix the community. We've gone from a thriving place where gamers shared ideas and helped one another out to a group of complainers, or in the words of the immortal Bruce Campbell, "Whiner Babies". This includes myself.

We want things fixed, we know that, Alex knows that, and Kaleidiscope knows that. We need to believe that they are doing what they have promised.

Its time that we repaired the OP community. Lets get the ideas flowing again. Stop talking about what is broken, and finding ways to make things work again on our own, and when Kaleidiscope fixes em, be happy about it.

I want the community back again. Its what brought me to OP. Seeing the work of my fellow gamers and wanting to have a site for my group like the ones that amazed me. And when I asked for help, its what I got from everyone. Encouragement, assistance, and good criticism.

So, lets unite and do what we, as a community, can do to make OP great again. Show the techs and owners that OP is something worth fixing and maintaining and keeping going.

And that includes finding those who have left in despair, and trying to bring them back too. We need them. Not just for OP, but for our individual campaigns. Because, yes, I am proud of the accomplishments I've made on this site with my Shadows campaign, but it was all because of all of YOU that it was anything more than just another campaign I ran with my group. You all pushed me to do better. To take things one step farther. To log everything my group did, all the pitfalls and progress, victories, and defeats. I looked forward to seeing the favorite numbers go up, the comments on the sessions and the site, almsot as much as I enjoyed running the campaign itself.

So, its time for us to fix OP as best we can.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• Krothos
    Krothos
    Let me add to Keryth's comments...

As some of you were aware, there was a billing issue with my Ascendant membership and was forced to cancel because of extraneous charges. TL/DR no help from management for a couple of weeks when I reported this issue and was left with nothing. :(

Now, Andrew comes along and I PM him regarding that issue (figured "what the hell"). Not only did he immediately look into the billing issue, he corrected my account by re-activating my membership with the lost time. This was all within a 48 hour period! :)

So, I will say that I'm now hopeful that things are starting to look better for the site (and I was one of those "doom and gloom" banner carriers!).

Looking forward to see what happens next month after the 1st! YAH!
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi All

I'm happy to "ride with" Keryth987's "New Year's Resolution" idea and encouraged by Krothos's post. My Festive Season's wish was for a better OP, so I would like to reiterate that here. If it takes some time to fix things, I can live with that. So, even though, there are a whole lot of "....you said this before and nothing happened...." messages, I get a lot out of this site and will take andreww38's renewed involvement as a good sign. Please keep communicating, Andrew.

twiggyleaf
    CURRENT CAMPAIGN: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
    Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• weasel0
    weasel0
    "We are working towards completing the bulk of kickstarter goals by the end of Feb 2016."

When was the last time in...ever we've gotten an actual kind of date for things like this? At least, in my eyes they should be afforded this time to A) come up with new excuses/reasons/communication to move the deadlines further B) surprise us by actually delivering on what they say they are.

I've said this in other areas. I'd love to see everything Kickstarter promised. Anything I wanted for myself from it I've seen and as long as OP lasts longer than 5 years(from Kickstarter), I'll have seen my monies worth for the Acendent Forever reward. Though to be really honest, I'd rather the old version over this one as far as desktop usability goes BUT this site is much better via mobile browsing. I tried to run a PbP under the old system and checking for posts via phone was horrendous.

Two things that could use re-implementation:
    1-A real landing "main" page again for OP. Not just YOUR personal page. Most of the time I don't remember there is even a blog or contests or anything else as there's no area to coalesce everything together.
    2-Bring back the sort-able(via user, game system, popularity, etc.) searchable campaigns list. This is also sorely missed.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    I'm glad to see positivity toward and from the community - honestly its the most important thing to me from OP. Its also super cool that you got your issues addressed, Krothos.

However, my doubts have more to do with the technical ability of Kaleidoscope to follow through, rather than their intentions. I guess there's nothing much to do but wait and see on that front... which has been the status quo for quite some time.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    I'm cautiously optimistic / trying to be positive... but kind of fuzzy on what the goals are, since I joined this website independently of the kickstarter... Andrew hasn't replied to my e-mail but the gist of it was that I'm more concerned right now with them restoring basic functionality (no 500 errors all the time, video embedding working)

the one hopeful note I see is that Andrew's timeline (Feb 2016) is consistent with what Alex was saying before (early 2016), so it's not simply a case of using change of personnel as excuse to revise the timeline / string us along (as some have suggested), just really poor communication strategy
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I'm on board with the New Year's resolution Keryth.

I am normally optimistic, but my manager eyes and ears are sending me warning signals. But I agree with you about the community.

And since I have nothing to lose by trying, I will return to my normal optimistic, benefit of the doubt giving nature.

Thank you very much for the idea and the resolution. At the worst, it can only improve my serenity, and at best it will contribute to the community once again.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I will continue to be supportive of the community, and critical of the company that continues to say they have plans but not fix things.
    All of you know how active I have been over the years, andi will continue to welcome new folks and give any help I can.
    However I am very disturbed that the COO seems to have no concept of process, and just seems to be randomly going through things.

Just trying to help out.

• RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    Likewise. I've always appreciated the community, but haven't seen professionalism in the company we all need to see as of yet.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Nice to see an update- hopefully this is just the beginning.

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Thanks for necromancer-ing this thread. It'll be a useful one to go through for the chronology of the reforged.

I'll see what I can pick up from this and factor that into our tech dev.

Thanks, killervp.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    So wouldn't you know,my honesty just bit me. I have 4.2 GB used, not 369 K as the system said.
    Wondering about those other heavy image campaigns - pm me, as I don't want any attention to come to you.

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    @ killervp -

Eh, I'm a little confused. Sent you a PM.
    If we can clarify this, I can adjust the task I assigned to tech accordingly.

tks.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    All good, andrew. Just wondering out loud what would have happened if I had not said I was surprised. ... I personally really hope you move it to 10GB now

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Fyi, for everyone, got an email from Alex_Redeye today and he is improving.

Just trying to help out.

• Basileus
    Basileus
    That's great to hear! Let him know the community misses him and wishes him the best. :)
  • Kallak
    Kallak
    nice!
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Good to hear. Hope he gets well soon

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Hope to see him back soon as well, Alex is missed!

As Always,
    _~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I want this site to work, I really do. I have put in a lot of work not just on my site, but promoting it, spending time helping others, and more. It just keeps disappointing me, over and over again.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Over 350 Fans, and Looking for More!

Just trying to help out.

• Alkorahil
    Alkorahil
    I agree with killervp. It has become an incredible resource for our group. I was happy to stumble across it several years ago. I use it to store a lot of our campaign information that myself and the players can reference.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Now tags and email notifications are broken.

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Noted. I’ll have the tech team work on tags + email and will post here once we’ve fixed it.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Congrats, they are both working for me today.

Just trying to help out.

This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions