Page Ownership/Edit Rights

dwivian
dwivian
edited February 2009 in Feature Requests

Comments

• dwivian
    dwivian
    It seems to be a common enough theme, and I know edit rights are rather loose to encourage participation, but I'd love to see a few levels of ownership to pages, to prevent editing people's hard work out of existance:

1. GM Owned
    A GM owned page can ONLY be edited by the GM. This allows creation of NPCs, history, regional notes, etc. A 'player notes' section might be reasonable, like the GM only area, for players to add their impressions of that NPC or area, but the core information would be read-only. Only the GM can delete GM owned pages.

2. Player Owned
    A player owned page can be edited by the player, or the GM. This allows characters to create information records that they maintain. There could be a 'player only' area, like the GM area, that only displays to that player or the GM. This allows notes that other players won't see, like where they hid the extra bag of gold they didn't tell anyone about. Either the GM or the player owner can delete the page.

3. Party/Campaign Owned
    A Party owned page would look exactly like the pages we have now. It is editable by anyone in the Campaign. Only the GM can delete these pages, though they can be defaced easily enough by the players, so that may be a moot point.

Ownership of pages would be maintained by the page creator and the GM. A player can create a party page or a player page. The GM can create all three. A page can change ownership within the rights of the user, so a GM could take ownership of a party page, but a player can't promote a page to GM ownership.

Of course, I have no idea how much work this would take to implement, but it seems reasonable.... :)
  • Redslash12
    Redslash12
    I like the idea of the GM only page, but I think I'd rather have some sort of "LOCK" checkbox that only the GM can check, which wouldn't allow anyone to edit the page unless the box was unchecked. That way you could change it at will instead of having to make a whole separate page if you decide to let others edit it. I read in another post someone accidentally deleted a bunch of information, and this checkbox may prevent those kinds of mistakes in the future.

The Player Owned page sounds cool too. I know I've had my characters keep secrets from each other and if they had a place to store them they might remember once in a while. However I think it would work out better if it worked like a GM only section of a page. Call it the "Personal Section" and only show what the person currently editing it has entered, like you said. Actually I reread what you wrote and it sounds like that is what you said. You just threw me off when you said "Page". This would also work with the LOCK checkbox above, allowing players to put personal info up on pages which have important information on them and are locked by the GM. Perhaps a "Show" button would be nice too, if the players wanted to reveal what they had hid from the party at a later time. I think the comments section of a page would do this also, but it doesn't have the same formality as a section on the page itself and thus seems less fitting.

I really like the idea of a campaign owned page and have been wanting one for a while. I'd like to comment on the idea, but I can't think of anything to say other then "I think it's a good idea"...

So yeah, I second these!
  • Mowgli
    Mowgli
    I third these recommendations - I *love* the idea of using the wikis as a 'central warehouse' for information, but I'm a little paranoid about someone else coming in and editing my hard work without my permission. I also think giving the players the ability to create their own pages (maybe one page per player?) that only they and the GM can see would be very helpful. The idea of 'Lock' and 'Show' buttons seems like an elegant solution, but like dwivian I don't have any idea how difficult these ideas would be to implement.