[Announcement] Obsidian Portal - management team update (Aug 2015)

124»

Comments

• Adoraith
    Adoraith
    Surely! Its mine! I have had a number of tickets open and had some responses but the issue never corrected so I kinda gave up.

"Adoraith: Echoes of Epirus":https://adoraith-echoes-of-epirus.obsidianportal.com/
    Post edited by Adoraith on
  • Unknown
    edited October 2015
    Thanks, I will look into this now and see if it is something tech needs to resolve or if I can fix it with some of my admin tools.

*EDIT:* Ok, so looking at your account it seems to be stuck in an Expiring state on the backend too. That is really odd, so I will have tech take a look at your account and see what might be causing that. I'll also have them do a quick audit of the system to see if any other accounts are stuck in a similar state. Do you remember when the issue first popped up for you still?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Adoraith
    Adoraith
    I opened a ticket with support and worked with someone for a while on it in May of 2014. Eventually he told me that a dev was working on the issue. Then I brought the same issue up in other threads and was advised that a dev was working on the issue. As I told support I really love OP and want to support the cause with my sub. I just hope this isn't a widespread issue.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    So, after a flurry of activity to fix one issue (which is not completely fixed, as some still have the same issue with email invites) things have returned to the complete lack of attention.
    Still 100s of tickets open.
    Still there are things broken that have been for years.
    Tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary of the Reforge- we still don't have half of the items promised, and we still have things broken that were never repaired, 2 years later.
    The only reason I have not left is the effort to move my 1000+ page wiki is herculean, but right now I really regret not starting 2 years ago, because it would be moved and I would not have wasted all of this time trying to get both previous owners (16 months) and current owners (8 months) to do the things that were promised.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• Unknown
    Please see my reply on the support item with the same comments.

@Adoraith - there are a lot of tickets in the system, could you possibly ping me a link to the case you had open on this as well?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @alex- You said you would look into it on October 16th- don't you already have @adoraith ticket....

Just trying to help out.

• Adoraith
    Adoraith
    I pulled the emails I get from support responses but the link back to my ticket is dead:

Alternatively, you can keep track of this conversation at http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/13739-subscription-for-adoraith

I also discussed the issue here again: http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3967

I really appreciate the work you are putting in for us. I work in IT and have been handed monstrous messes before so I can imagine what you are going through. Keep fighting the good fight. You have my unwavering support!
  • Unknown
    Not a problem Adoraith, it is an uphill climb but I am happy to do it. I will dig through all the details (and see if I can find out what happened to that ticket, tickets should only ever be closed - not purged, this bothers me).
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Only took 4 months to get the Operations Manager to come back and say "we are working on it"

Just trying to help out.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    dont look at it from that angle. Look at it from the angle that we got an update and that the delay was due both to Alex's RL issues and the fact that they've been wrapped up in bug fixes and such.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Kyryth- What bug fixes? We still have pages... Alex only stopped a month ago- and Andrew has admitted to being on another project. This means 3 months, while this site has been broken in many ways, had no COO. I find that to be very disturbing.

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    To clarify, the "operations manager" role is not quite the same as a COO.

On another note, do keep an eye out over the next few weeks as we roll out a number of fixes.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Ok, so do clarify, for the first time. Who is working on OP? Who does what? Who do we go to? Where do we go if that person is reassigned? ,

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    I'm working on OP. I am the go-to person for technical development, community management, customer support.

You can PM me, file a support ticket, email me at [email protected] with any issues.

If I am re-assigned, there will be a notice with info on the new person.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Why will there be a notice this time, as there was not any last time? Why should we be emailing you directly when there are hundreds of open tickets in the help section, some over 2 years old? What is your process for handling these tickets? What do you consider the #1 priority to fix on OP right now?
    The problem I see is there is way too much for 1 person to handle- we have questions on just this thread that have never been answered, tickets that have never been addressed, etc....

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    So many questions, so little time.

Thanks for your questions, killervp, let me attempt to answer them.

-
    Why will there be a notice this time,

---because I will write the notice.

as there was not any last time?

---When I'm running the project, I do my best to post timely updates. I'm not sure what happened last time, but I believe Alex was posting updates fairly regularly.

Why should we be emailing you directly when there are hundreds of open tickets in the help section, some over 2 years old?

---Because I read everything in the inbox. I am going through the support site, as well as the posts in the main forum to work out a sequence of bug fixes.

What is your process for handling these tickets?

---I prioritize the tickets, based on:
    1) how it affects the user experience for OP users,
    2) how soon we can test and get the fix out
    3) input from the tech team about any possible chain reaction or breakage at some other point in OP.

What do you consider the #1 priority to fix on OP right now?

===the #1 fix this week were the 500/502 errors, we've probably eradicated about 70-80% of them judging by the lower frequency of server error logs that I am seeing, though if there's specific instances, we welcome support tickets at help.obsidianportal.com

the #2 priority is stabilizing the OP server, in preparation for the rollout of new features and bug fixes in the coming weeks. This means that we will be taking OP offline for 2 hours from 2am to 4am PST on Monday, Jan 11. We might have the server up in 30 minutes if everything goes smoothly. If so, we'll post updates on the Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/obsidianportal and an update on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/obsidianportal

----
    The problem I see is there is way too much for 1 person to handle

>>> You are right. These nights with 4-hours of sleep are starting to wear me down, and I am starting to run out of potions of vitality.
    On a more serious note, I have a team of advisors, including the OP inner council, concerned OP users who have been emailing me pretty regularly, and we're putting more server logs in place so we have a little heads-up on potential issues.

Going forward, we'll be involve the community more in how we implement improvements and enhancements, so you guys get to give you input on an alternative to the gold text on beige background "invisible ink" color scheme in the bottom navigation block on most OP pages. Though I am not be help fully accountable if the community chooses to go for a hot pink text -black background combo, or a snot-green on blood red combo.

- we have questions on just this thread that have never been answered,

>>> I'll go through probably over the weekend or when I have some downtime to answer that which had yet to be answered. Feel free to re-post if you feel a question hasn't been adequately answered. (PS: I recruited Alex 3 months ago, briefed him on how the community should be managed, then focused on other kaleidoscope projects, so that is why I "disappeared" for 3 months).

tickets that have never been addressed, etc….

>>> going through them. It takes a bit of time to go through 3+ years of backlog. Though I'd be upset if I had asked a question and hadn't received an answer 3 months later as you've helped to emphasize in the support desk. Thanks. Do flag, post vehemently if you feel an issue isn't being adequately addressed...

---
    To swing back to an earlier question, we're doing testing on displaying the disk storage used, disk storage remaining for your file storage lockers. The feature will be rolled out once the server stabilization/upgrade thing is done on Monday.

Along with that, we're working on the timezone issues, that appear most frequently for non-US GMs/players who appear to be affected by US timezone settings and/or a rip in the time-space continuum.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Ho there. Look, Progress!
    Happy to see some things moving forward here.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @ andreww38 Thank you very much for your honest answers. It is truly appreciated.
    The fact that there was no one in your position while it was just Alex was an issue, and the fact that you are doing both jobs currently should be addressed.

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Thanks killervp.

Things should move a little smoother with this round of fixes as I'm managing the tech team and sweeping the customer support tickets and forums for issues to be addressed. The intention is to eventually address all issues that affect the quality of the gaming service that OP provides.

We actually had Alex also manage the coder as well as tech support, though his health issues affected his ability to execute both to the extent that he had been hoping for.

I'll do my best to check in every day, so do continue with the feedback, positive and negative, and if I can move the process along, I'll do my best.
  • Kallak
    Kallak
    High Five @andreww38
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    I'm not a major player in the Obsidian Portal community, but I want to commend you Andrew. I recognize exemplary professionalism when I see it, and you're exactly what was needed to keep this site alive. Your service to the users of this site is what we had all been hoping for, but had not received, since the Reforge. Thank you, and please don't go anywhere. I really want you to stick around for the long haul. :-)

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hear, hear!

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    I like andrew's sass, but really that's the quickest way into my heart.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    @Lxcharon I thought it was through your ribcage...

But seriously, sass and wit will get you very far with me, so long as you're not my adversary. And even then I will respect you far more than if you don't use it.
    So good on you, Andrew.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Now tags and email notifications are broken.

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Noted. I'll have the tech team work on tags + email and will post here once we've fixed it.